Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I'm installing the oil temperature probe for the Vans Oil Temperature gauge. It comes in two pieces. There is an adaptor (VA-147) which screws into the engine block, it comes with a copper (I think) crush washer. I've looked around several places and cannot find the torque value for installing this adaptor.

Then there is there is the probe (IE-02017-00) which screws into the adaptor. It appears to be NPT pipe threads. I assume to install this just like any other pipe thread fitting on the engine.

What torque should I use to install the adaptor? Are there any other special techniques that I should use here?

Thanks,
Michael-

AN900 COPPER GASKETS (CRUSH WASHERS)

Hi,

you need to have a Lycoming Overhaul Manual (Table III) there you'll find the AN900 COPPER GASKETS torque value, there is an august 2011 Sport Aviation nice article on crush washer (copper gasket) too.

For the oil temp sensor you're right, it's NPT pipe threads, but put some seal before to put it into adaptor - I use 'Tite Seal' Sealing compound T20-66. As a rule just only a few after the second thread line.

If you don't have Sport Aviation or if you don't have the Lycoming Overhaul Manual (Table III) just ask.

bye

Are probe standard...

Thanks. I missed that article in Sport Aviation. Good reference.

One more question. My engine has a temperature probe already installed. Are they standard, or do you have to buy a different probe for each brand instrument.

It would be nice just to use the probe that came with my engine.

Michael-

By temperature do you mean CHT and EGT or are you talking oil temp?

I would shoot a message to your avionics guy on that one.

At least with oil temperature, I know many products on the market are designed to work with a generic probe, but I wouldn't hazard a guess specifically.

Oil temperature

I mean oil temperature. I'lll just put the one from Vans that is know to work with Vans gauge.

Thanks,

Michael-

Hi,

you need to have a Lycoming Overhaul Manual (Table III) there you'll find the AN900 COPPER GASKETS torque value, there is an august 2011 Sport Aviation nice article on crush washer (copper gasket) too.

Actually, it's not a torque but an angle - details here -

lycoming-torques_zpsd981c236.jpg

I did my first oil change yesterday in my RV-8. A friend showed me the procedure as I've never changed oil in an airplane before.

The oil temperature sensor nut, washers and wire connector located just below the oil filter were removed to facilitate placing a large zip lock underneath the oil filter during removal so as to prevent a mess and capture most of the remaining oil in the oil filter while taking it off.

After the new oil filter was put in it was time to reconnect the wire to the oil pressure temperature sensor. First the composite washer was placed on then the wire terminal then the flat washer followed by the lock washer and finally the nut to the oil temperature sensor. He put a wrench on the nut and torqued it down pretty tight, too tight I suppose because now my oil temperature gauge does not work and it did previously.

Is it possible to over torque the nut on the sensor and break it causing a direct short?

I have a new sensor coming from AFS. Before I put the new sensor in I would like to be clear on a few things.

1. How tight (Torque value) is the sensor to the oil filter receptacle suppose to be?

2. I'm I suppose to use an anti-seize compound on the threads of the oil temperature sensor, if so what kind?

3. How tight should I get the nut that secures wire connector lead to the oil temperature sensor?

4. Any other thoughts or suggested are very appreciated.

I looked at Gil's chart but am still not sure.

Thank you

The screw post in those resistive senders will generally twist under LIGHT torque. This breaks them internally. I've probably replaced thousands of dollars of these due to overtorque. If you don't use a torque driver, then use just a bare socket and your fingertips. Even that can do it if you have the kung-fu grip.

Follow up answers to previous questions asked. Issue resolved. Many thanks to Rob Hickman and the AFS crew for all the help!

Is it possible to over torque the nut on the sensor and break it causing a direct short?

Yes. Over tightened the nut that holds the wire terminal causing internal damage to the sensor, direct short to ground.

1. How tight (Torque value) is the sensor to the oil filter receptacle suppose to be?

As described in Gils chart. The values are there you just have to look. I got it finger tight then about a 3/4 turn more.

2. I'm I suppose to use an anti-seize compound on the threads of the oil temperature sensor, if so what kind?

Yes. Thread sealant. No teflon tape.

3. How tight should I get the nut that secures wire connector lead to the oil temperature sensor?

Finger tight then enough to completely compress the split washer then a tiny bit more.

Sealant

Titeseal or similar is used on pipe threads. Oil temperature sender is straight thread with a crush gasket, lubricant only, which in this case is engine oil. Lycoming does specify some special lubricants for engine internals, but unless there is a special callout all straight threads are lubricated with engine oil.