Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
My Vans manifold pressure gauge quit working after just 21 hours. The needle went to full deflection. I've read here that this is typical of the Vans gauge.

I'd like to install a mechanical manifold pressure gauge. But I can't find much info on the installation of such a gauge and what kind of fittings, hoses I would have to order to do the install.

Is it just a single pressure line from one of the cylinder heads to the gauge? I assume I would need a restrictor of some sort.

Any info you can point me at would be great.

Thanks,
Mike-

Similar experience with Van's gauge. I installed a UMA gauge and it has been rock solid.

It is just a single pressure line with a restrictor, you may have to get a little creative with going from the small tubing on the Van's fittings to the larger size of most gauges.

Make sure to use some sturdy tubing - the manifold vacuum might be strong enough to collapse the tube if you got the stuff from the aviation dept at Home Depot.

Dan

Michael I had couple Vans gages go kaput during/after phase 1. Get a replacement exactly the same and chances are very high you will be all right for a thousand hours or more ... :)

All the MP gauges I've seen have the restrictor built in. It's "tuned" with a small slotted screwdriver until the needle bounce goes away. Just something to keep an eye out for.