ctbecker

Well Known Member
Today I installed the main gear legs and brake flange on my 8A. I thought it would be a piece of cake to slip on the wheels! Much to my surprise I cant get the wheels on. The axle is simply too large to allows the bearing on. I've sanded the axle down to a shine, tried grease etc, but no luck. Is there a trick that I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

10 Weight oil on bearing felt seal rings

Is a 10W-30 engine oil okay to "dampen the felt seals" that are on the outside of the main wheel bearings? Clevelands' instructions call for "dampen the felt seals with 10 weight engine oil".

Also, should the inside surface of the bearings that contact the gear axle be greased, or should they be dry? And should the axle itself be greased?

Thanks!

ctbecker said:
Today I installed the main gear legs and brake flange on my 8A. I thought it would be a piece of cake to slip on the wheels! Much to my surprise I cant get the wheels on. The axle is simply too large to allows the bearing on. I've sanded the axle down to a shine, tried grease etc, but no luck. Is there a trick that I am missing? Any help would be appreciated.

I had the same problem. I just emery clothed them into submission. I think the tolerances must be a little tight. Keep polishing!

2in. fine crocus cloth is what I used and is what the manual suggests I think. After a short time, they slipped right on. Got the cloth from an auto machine shop for a couple of bucks.