rwtrwtau

All,

I have been trying to install the studs provided loose by my engine supplier for my propellor govenor. One end of the stud threads onto the supplied nuts easily, and also threads into the govenor pad quite easily.

The other end of the stud will not thread into the nuts and is very difficult to turn in the pad. I have installed a couple of the supplied nuts onto the stud in order to use a spanner to try to thread them in, but the studs will not go further, and they are not installed sufficently into the pad.

I do not want to force things... or break the studs/pad. Has anyone else had an experiece like this? I am wondering if the supplied stud has a metric thread on it or similar and/or if I am using the correct studs/hardware?

My engine supplier says the studs are not meant to go in easily but I suspect something is wrong here.

Thanks/Regards
Richard

That is the way things should be. The fit of the stud threads is what prevents them from backing out once installed. Screw two nuts on to the end that they screw onto easily and tighten the nuts against each other effectively making a bolt. Lubricate the threads on the other end of the stud and screw the bolt into the gov. pad to a height appropriate to you governor. Loosed the two nuts that you tightened against each other and remove them. Proceed to the next stud and repeat the procedure. The driving force of screwing the stud into the pad takes some torque and doesn't screw in real easy. This is normal and the fact that the nuts won't screw easily onto that end of the stud is normal.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

Snap-on makes a nice install/remove tool for studs. Makes the job really easy. You might not want to spend that much cash for one use though. Maybe someone on your airport has one you can borrow for a few minutes.