rockwoodrv9

Well Known Member
Patron
I am working on my panel install. I have figured out locations for everything except the GTX 23 transponder. The wiring harness is only 14" limiting the locations possible.

As I see it, I have a couple options

1. Try to make it work with the short harness. The problems are limited access and trying to squeeze it in behind the panel.

2. Make an extension to the harness and move the transponder to the seat back in the baggage compartment.

If anyone has photos of how they installed all their various components for the G3X Touch, I would love to see them.

Thanks

If the 14" does not give you enough options on locating the transponder, build a new harness and if you do not want to do that, have Stein build one for you.

I mounted mine under the baggage compartment floor and installed a small fan to keep it cool. It is my understanding transponders emit a lot of RF, so it may not be a good idea to mount one on your seat back.

If CG is not an issue (not sure what type aircraft you have) I like the aft side of the cargo bulkhead for 6/7/8/9's. This location works well and makes for a nice short antenna cable.

I struggled with the same issue. Being that you want to be able to slide the 23es out of its tray your options are limited behind the panel.

Stein did my prewire harness for the g3x and I was left with about the same length harness to work with.

This is what I came up with. I put a couple angles together and attached to the bottom of the ribs behind the panel.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Jared - great photo. That is where I was thinking of installing it, but I have my VP power box there. I have a bit more room on the cables for the VP so I will move it. If you have photos of the rest of the components, I would love to see them. I have been using velcro to hold them in place while I decide if they will work in the location. There is a LOT of stuff to fit in bunch of small locations!

I mounted mine at the bottom of the radio stack, sideways, and hidden by the panel. I can remove it fairly easily by going behind the panel on my back and unlatching it, moving a couple of wire bundles/engine controls out of the way and sliding it out.

Last edited:
Here is where it is mounted on my tip-up 7. The sliders have differences. I had a couple of criteria:

1. Mount as much as possible behind the sub-panel to prevent it getting wet.
2. Make components accessible from the bottom.

You don't have to worry about the wet thing. Actually, You might consider placing the transponder with the length parallel to the fuse, and then next longer side vertical. Have it be removable through the subpanel, only with the touch screen removed. It could mount on the fore/aft rib, where I placed the g39.

I hope you can recognize the GTX23 down in there between the alodined beams.

IMG_0758.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

I do have a tip up 9A.

Great pictures Pat and Bill. Pat - I love the plastic panel to help mount things. Good idea.

Bill - I like the beams you made to support everything. Considering how much these planes get banged around through the bumps, everything has to be solid.

This whole panel install makes me want to mount my top skin with plate nuts! I can't imagine working on the panel with a slider.

I can provide more detail for the beams if you want to make them. They are quite stiff in order to keep the GU73 from moving under high g's. I think it will hold 300 pounds with .010" deflection in the center. All rivets are only 20% loaded of their shear rating.

Everything under that skin has nut plates so it can be removed and installed with one hand. Many components have fastener heads on the light side of the sub-panel. Good Luck with the planning, I found this to be difficult to think so many steps ahead.