Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I've already installed and torqued my exhaust system. I'd really rather not remove it. But now I see the instructions for the FAB suggest the exhaust is not installed when fitting and installing the FAB.

Did anyone else fit/install the FAB with the exhaust installed? How much more difficult is it?

Thanks,
Michael-

O320-D3G RV-9A

FAB install

Michael,
I remove mine at every annual (or sooner) to check and clean the air filter. At least on my install (RV7A - O360) no need to remove the exhaust system.

Gary
N715AB
RV7A 1000+ hours

I put mine in w/o torqueing the exhaust down, just snug to hold it in place and torqued it later.

However, it can be easier to fit the FAB w/o the exhaust you kind of sort of need it in there to make sure the FAB doesn't contact it.

I took my exhaust off to fit the FAB. It's difficult enough without the exhaust in the way... O-375 / RV-8

The first thing i installed on my 0-320 was the exhaust. I had no problems installing the FAB in that regard. I have the Vetterman crossover exhaust that shipped with Vans FWF kit for the O-320 D1A.

I just finished fitting my FAB, the exhaust was installed the entire time. It didn't casue me any problems. Just requires that you pull the cowl to itterate the position of the FAB to align with the cowl intake. However, I was able to make the fine adjustments through the cowl intake.

Thanks...

We'll see how it goes. I'll remove if need to. The baffles really burned me out. I'm hoping the FAB is not as hard as it looks. For some reason after reading the instructions I get the feeling it is not going to be easy.

Michael

We'll see how it goes. I'll remove if need to. The baffles really burned me out. I'm hoping the FAB is not as hard as it looks. For some reason after reading the instructions I get the feeling it is not going to be easy.

Michael

I thought the same thing, but it really wasn't a big deal compared to the baffles. The fiberglass part was actually pretty fun. That foam that Vans supplies is really great to work with. The hardest part was getting the foam wedged in there just right so it stuck in place. I also wrapped the floam in tape since the sides were going to get pretty thin once it was hollow. I did have to make a new top plate since the vans one put the FAB too close to the left side of the cowl, I had also zero clearance. I shifted the position of the carb on the top plate to move the whole fab over ~1/2". I also has to make a spacer between the carb and top plate since my carb has more material on the bottom than just the bowl drain that was causing interference.

FP24022013A00057.jpg

FP24022013A0005U.jpg