Buggsy2

Well Known Member
I have a finished aileron and I want to install the electric aileron trim. If someone has done this or tried this, is it doable? How much cussing is needed?

What happened is I ordered QB wings with electric trim, and it seems to me they should have kept that in mind, but apparently they finished the ailerons without provision for the electric trim. Furthermore I somehow thought the electric trim on a -9 model simply used a servo instead of a lever to bias the centering springs--I guess some models do. Imagine my surprise when I finally looked at the plans for the electric aileron trim.

I have looked at the plans and instructions some and it's not obvious straight away that it's easy or impossible...seems in the middle. Thought I better ask here before I start removing rivets and cutting things.:D

EDIT: I just looked at Vans web store and I think they shipped me the wrong kit. The kit that modifies the aileron is for during construction and is for the -4 and -6 models. The spring-bias + servo kit is for other models. OK that makes me feel a lot better. I'll call them tomorrow and have them ship the proper kit.

Last edited:
Relax, and put down the shears. On the RV7, 100% of the roll trim components and connections are inside the fuselage. Nothing in the wings or control surfaces are touched, modified, or cut.

I can't speak to the 9 firsthand, but I see that they use the same kit in the accessories catalog online at Vans. Safe guess the install process is identical.

The electric trim built into the ailerons has gone away many years ago in favor of the springs under the seats as you've now noticed - emergency averted! That being said, in my opinion that tab on the aileron was a bit more solid to fly with, but far more complicated to install. It's almost a moot point anymore with a well rigged plane, good fuel balance management and a modern Autopilot.

Cheers,
Stein

The electric trim built into the ailerons has gone away many years ago in favor of the springs under the seats as you've now noticed - emergency averted! That being said, in my opinion that tab on the aileron was a bit more solid to fly with, but far more complicated to install. It's almost a moot point anymore with a well rigged plane, good fuel balance management and a modern Autopilot.

Experience shows that to be true. Other pilots prefer my servo operated aileron trim tab, over the bias spring method.

Relax, and put down the shears. On the RV7, 100% of the roll trim components and connections are inside the fuselage. Nothing in the wings or control surfaces are touched, modified, or cut.

I can't speak to the 9 firsthand, but I see that they use the same kit in the accessories catalog online at Vans. Safe guess the install process is identical.
I have the 9 and installed the manual aileron trim with the lever between the seats that controls the spring setup below the seat pan. The 9 setup is the same as the 7. I also ran wires and have them pig tailed and tied off underneath the seat pan in case I decided to install the electric trim in the future. I really don't foresee ever doing that because of what Stein stated below. I do have a slight left tending roll but only when I am flying solo. I attribute this to the off center weight of my body in the left seat. To compensate I do two things. First, I usually take off with the left fuel tank to burn more of that fuel off earlier. Second, I reach down between the seats and move the lever to the left until I have the ailerons balanced. It is a very well balanced airplane that only takes minor adjustments when needed. During the build I made provisions for installing an electric aileron trim but know now the manual trim is perfectly adequate to meet the need.

Cheers,
Stein