sglynn

Well Known Member
I'm installing my CS Prop for the first time and need to hear voice of experience. How do you hold up the prop, line up the holes and turn in the bolts?

I'm holding it up with a shop crane. I can line up the bolts, I have a little prob bolt wrench. But when I turn the bolts to get them started they seem very tight. I don't want to strip the threads.

So, what is a good method for putting on the CS Prop without fear of stripping the hole threads? I'm putting it on so I can fit the cowl. I'll be taking it off. Backplates are on.

thanks

If it is a Hartzell with the little captive nuts on studs with roll pins, you can just hold the hub with one arm (arm under and cradling it) and start bolts by hand. You should be able to get them most of the way by hand, but your thumbs are going to hurt. Once you start them all and get a few threads holding in each, then use your wrench to tighten them, working your way around as you go so they tighten them evenly. On a temp installation, just take them to 10-20 ft lbs and mark them as "not torqued".