Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I have the 40 Amp B&C alternator. It comes with a molex-type connector to be used for the field lead. The connector contains two terminals that are both to be connected to the same wire.

My question is about the terminals used. Generally I would use a 20 awg wire from the regulator to the field lead on the alternator. But these connectors appear to be for 10-12 awg wire. I'm not sure though. There is no indication on the terminals and the installation instructions don't say anything about the size of wire. But the terminals appear to fit into the 10-12 awg slot on my crimper.

I'm sure there is someone out there that has installed a B&C alternator with the same terminals and connector. What gauge wire did you use for the field lead? Maybe, I'm just looking at things wrong and these terminals will work with 20 awg wire.

Thanks,
Michael-

Terminal should work with 18-20 awg wire...

I was looking at the terminals and my crimper closer and I think I was putting the terminal in the crimper backwards. My crimper does both the wire crimp and the insulation crimp at the same time. So each side of the crimper is a different size.

I'm going to give it a shot. These are not your standard terminals, so I don't have more. I get one shot. If I mess up, I'll have to order more terminals and play the waiting game.

Michael-