Rick_Luck

A while back I ordered one of those "canopy buster" control sticks designed to replace the passenger side control stick. The canopy buster has a sharp tip at the bottom and is designed to be removable and used as a tool to bust your canopy should you ever find yourself trapped in an upside down RV, that could possibly be on fire.

Anyhow, I'm just starting to think about the installation and I removed the boot around the passenger side control stick. My question is, how is the existing control stick secured into the socket that it sits in? I don't see a pin or set screw holding it into the female socket. I didn't build my RV9A, but purchased it from the builder several years ago so I don't have the building reference that the rest of you guys have. I'm also reluctant to just start tugging or twisting on it, presuming that it's just a friction fit, if by chance it isn't.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you don't see any kind of attachment, it is just a friction fit. The vans plans don't have anything holding it in there. You're good to just yank it out of there if there aren't any wires going to switches in the stick grip.

Davepar said:
Very funny indeed. I fear my marrige wouldn't survive if my primary passenger, Tanya, had to experience the shock of the stick coming out in her hand. Probably even worse would be my uncontrolable laughter at the shocking "situation". There won't be a problem in my 9A since I put a bolt through the passenger stick (the grip is fully wired with 7 switches).

Rick_Luck said:
.....I ordered one of those "canopy buster" control sticks designed to replace the passenger side control stick.......how is the existing control stick secured into the socket that it sits in?.........
I too have the "Bubble Buster" installed and it is just a friction fit. I'm glad it is too because it makes it much easier to crawl under the instrument panel with the passenger stick removed and occasionally I fly with it stowed in back for enhanced/unobstructed cabin space. It is fitted with a molded right hand grip and it is easy enough for the passenger to "clock" or rotate the stick around in its socket to enhance his or her comfort. I mounted a remote PTT on the side of the sill to accomodate co-pilot radio chores.

quick release pin

I drilled a hole and mounted mine with a quick release pin and velcro up the side of the stick boot. It is secure and easily accesable in a matter of seconds.