WA85

Well Known Member
I just finished the installation and testing of my Dynon 2020 GPS antenna to make my current Dynon Skyview ADSB equipment FAA 2020 compliant.
I was already equipped with a SV-D1000, SV-xpndr-261, SV-ADSB-470 and GPS-250, which was painted flat black and mounted on the glare shield of my RV-8. I had no issues with the ADSB in or out prior to installing the new 2020 GPS antenna.

I already had V14 SW installed and functioned checked.

Dynon's installation instructions are as expected, comprehensive and well written. I had a simple cut and splice of the 4 wires on the DB9 connector connected serial port #5. I applied a light coat of flat black paint over the glossy white puck to prevent the glare in the windshield. I mounted the puck in the exact same spot on the glare shield as the 250 was.

After completing the serial port and xpndr assignment changes in the menu, I checked the 3D diff integrity check outside the hangar with no issues. I had 3D diff with 9 satellites in view and tracking 7.

I then took the acft up for a xpndr and GPS signal integrity check, as well as an FAA ADSB system check. In a 45 minute flight that included 360 deg 60 turns, wing overs, chandelles, I never lost GPS signal or 3D diff integrity. You can watch the satellite status on the menu page during flight. Local ATC had no issue with the xpndr functions or reported altitude.

The FAA ADSB report came back as - Good to go, no errors. I am FAA 2020 ADSB compliant.

It appears that glare shield location, with a light coat of flat black paint, is going to be a satisfactory location for the 2020 GPS antenna and still have an acceptable level of signal integrity for proper ADSB compliance.

I have installed another Dynon 2020 GPS on a 9A tip up and it had no issues during the ground checks, so I do not expect it to have any issue once airborne, but I will test it anyway.

Excellent work Dynon!

Great news and kudos to Dynon for providing an affordable ADS-B solution for their system.

Scary Dynon Warnings

Yep, same here. I replaced my 250 with a 2020 with no issues. I was tempted to leave the 250 in place an mount the 2020 under the hood but they made such a bid deal of the satellite visibility requirements for the 2020 that I decided against. My 2020 works great in the 250's previous location on the turtleback - totally unobstructed and not painted. Now I'm thinking I'll mount the 250 under the cowling as a secondary source and let it do what it will do. Nobody's buying 250's anyway!

I'm glad to hear the 2020 does well in more secluded locations. The warnings Dynon put out made the location sound much more critical!

Under the Glass?

Eric, Are you saying you mounted it on the glaire shield under the windshield? Or in front of the windshield? Just curious, I have to pick a spot for mine. I had the 250 under the cowl, like a lot of us and it stopped working. I think the heat got to it. So I decided to mount the new one outside in front of the windshield. I hate to do it if I don't have to.