Neal@F14

Well Known Member
Getting ready to install my new Sensenich prop and upon reading the instructions, they are silent upon whether to use any kind of lube or anti-seize on the threads. The instructions do say to clean any oil or dirt off the engine crankshaft flange.

The FAQ on Sabre's website say to not remove any paraffin from the prop bolts as it's needed for proper torque, I think... but not sure that Sabre is the maker of the spacer and bolts that came with my new prop kit, but these new bolts have no paraffin on them, only shiny fresh cad plating.

The only other reference I could find quickly on the web is a McCauley installation paper that says that their props on Lycoming must be installed with dry bolts.

My old wood prop had the bolt shanks lubed with beeswax, and of course it was impossible to keep all that off the threads, and they seemed to torque down just fine.

My gut feeling is that this new prop (aluminum hub, aluminum spacer) is supposed to be installed with the new bolts and the crankshaft threaded bushings all clean and dry... correct?

I spoke with my AP/IA buddy tonight and he concurs as well... dry and clean on all threaded prop bolt surfaces... and use some brake cleaner to remove residual traces of beeswax from the crank flange prop bushings.

CALL the prop company. Some say dry, but I've also had a McCauley come from the shop with a special lubricant for the threads, and specific torque with lube instructions.