RobinHou

Well Known Member
I am working on my wings so I am still far away from installing engine cowl. It is my understanding that cowl is to be fitted after the engine is already on its mount. However, I saw this ad today: http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=472603

So, it looks like it is possible to fit the cowl before installing the engine. If so, that will be my choice because I want to delay my engine purchase for as long as possible.

How dose one go about installing the cowl before mounting engine?

Thanks in advance,

Robin

If you have the $$$ this...

...would work...:eek:

http://www.precisionairmotive.com/mockupengines.htm

However, if you are not working on the baffles, ask your local engine rebuilder if he has a reject case and a reject crank.
The O-360s and O-320s are the same length, and all you need is something to hold your fake wooden spinner bulkhead in the correct position...:)

Make sure the case has the same mount as you plan on using - probably dynafocal.

Cowl

Robin,

I have an engine case and crank that I use to fit cownings. E Mail me and I will send you a picture. I am fitting one now.
I use the spinner rear bulkhead with a plywood spacer to simulate the prop. It is a lot easer to fit the cowl without the jugs on the engine, you can get your hands inside to back up your drilbit.

jay-pratt at sbcglobal.net

mock up engine

I bought a non repairable case and crank for less than $100. Check with the specialty shops-Divco and CSI for the case and ASI for the crank. You will also need some main bearings.

Looking for scrap engine isolators

I want to fit my cowl without my engine, or at least without the whole engine. My engine is a disassembled core, so I'd like to assemble the case, cranks, and main bearings only and mount the whole thing on the engine mount (which is already attached to the fuse).

The plan would then be to fit the cowl, and when it is done I can remove the engine and overhaul it right before first flight.

Does anyone have a set of old or scrap engine mount isolators that they'd like to sell or donate? I'd rather spend my money on stuff I need right now instead of buying expen$ive Lord mounts right now.

Robin,

I have an engine case and crank that I use to fit cownings. E Mail me and I will send you a picture. I am fitting one now.
I use the spinner rear bulkhead with a plywood spacer to simulate the prop. It is a lot easer to fit the cowl without the jugs on the engine, you can get your hands inside to back up your drilbit.

jay-pratt at sbcglobal.net

Jay has THE way! If you can find a local non-usable case and crank, follow his lead! I've seen this setup at his facility and it is REALLY neat how it all works!

You might want to simulate the mass of the engine and prop, otherwise you will need to allow for engine 'sag'.

The other way is to....
Install the cowl and make it streamlined...
And install two of those SubSonex engines on the tail :D