bret

Well Known Member
I am not a limber or small guy, so just throwing it out there, what should you do-install before the aft top skins go on, so I am thinking, thread rudder cables, conduit for trim, tail lights and elt,.........what did you forget to run, and end up back there like all those cool pics on VAF show.

Run the rudder cables and install the exit fairings if you intend to use them.

Any wiring, adel clamps.

Before you put the forward aft skin, everything else. Static, pitch servo, ELT mount, Stobe power supply if you need one. I would go ahead and drill drain holes. The locations are supposed to be on the plans, but I never saw them.

I think you have already figured out it is a real pain to get back there.

If you think you might ever install a remote magnetometer, install a shelf back there or at least nut plates to receive one. It's a PITA to install one in a finished aircraft.

I thought I remember some on here making a cool AHRS bracket in the aft fuse, so farthe plans are for a Dynon set up, but I won't be flying this for a few years, by then we might just stick an I Pad thing E on the panel and go.

You guys worried about crawling back in a -7 fuselage....it's not a big deal.

I've crawled back in the -8 fuselage to install an AHRS bracket and canopy rail, but did so with a cell phone just in case of emergency extraction. :)

Have no fear, you can do it!

If you are going to craw back into the tail cone, don't forget to support it first with a sawhorse or something to keep it from reacting to your weight back there! Sinking feeling followed by a sickening thud and bump.... Ask me how I know. Hey Van's, how much for a new tail fairing?