tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
After one year since purchasing a flying rv8, I will be doing my second conditional inspection. The aircraft has been great with no problems and flies like a dream. My question is, on the gear(tail dragged), the nuts are 9/16 torqued to 20 ft/ lb? Also, can someone explain the wear limits on the bracket? Where is this measured and what are the limits? We were only able to torque one nut about a 1/4 turn last year. Do we need to remove the gascolator and should I have the slick mag checked(electronic on the top). The plane has 200 hrs on it. Last year, the mechanic did not add grease to prop but I see that the manual says to add grease annually.0360 with blended airfoil. Thanks.

It is actually called a "Condition inspection", not Contitional. You are inspecting the aircraft to determine its Condition. A common mistake. I even saw the wrong term used in one of the Sports Aviation issues!!

Maybe we should call it a "CI". Or "ACI" (Annual Condition Inspection)

Last edited:
If I know what someone means, I'm good. Call it what you want as long as it gets done, but make sure you reference your OPS limits and copy the wording in your log book as it is shown there.

I can not answer your gear tower question.
You should have your Hartzell manual in hand. It tells you the grease type, interval, and procedure.

You should also have a good check list. It is ok to start with someone elses but modify it to fit your specific airplane. One of the items on the check list you will find very handy is to add in common torque values for all things that need to be checked or retorqued at your CI. Then you don't need to dig up the manual each year.

My check list continues to grow and get more comprehensive every year.

Lots of good advice but since you are not the builder you should try to find an A&P mechanic who is familiar with RVs, uses a check list, etc.

The Hartzell manual says to grease annually, but also says that it is needed less often if the plane is flown frequently. Make sure you remove the opposite zerk fitting prior to putting in any grease.

I just PM'd you a link to Hartzell's Owner's Manuals. It will tell you how, what, and how much. Sometimes that is different that what you might be told. ;)