Guy Prevost

Well Known Member
Pierre’s post about his fuel line (here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71747) made me think about inspection and how difficult it really is.

In my day job I work with a small team to design and build unmanned rockets. Although I was already an experienced engineer when I came into this job I still served an apprenticeship under the watchful eye of someone who had been in the rocket business much longer. One of the biggest and most difficult things I had to learn was how to inspect. A missed problem in my job can cost megabucks and lost lives. We take it very seriously.

If one sits and looks at a large bundle of plumbing and wiring without a methodical approach, any problems found are mostly due to being lucky. The mind and eye both need a systematic approach. Here are some pointers that may help:

1. Have a written list of systems you are going to inspect. A mental list doesn’t cut it.

2. Inspect each system one at a time. Group systems by location when feasible. Do not mix systems.

3. Pick one cable, hose, or tube at a time and follow its entire length. Touch is a huge help. Trace the item of interest with your finger. It takes discipline to not get distracted and start looking at something else. Use mirrors, lights, etc to facilitate.

4. While inspecting an item look not only for existing problems, but for problems that may arise if something moves, etc.

5. Don’t do it all at once. You will become weary and less attentive fairly soon. Take a short break, do something else for a bit and resume your inspection.

6. Try and have some time between the time you work on a system and when you inspect it. If you have just replaced a fuel hose it takes extreme discipline to inspect that hose and its connections adequately. Since you just installed it and it is now perfect in your mind it is really hard to get a fresh look. Time between the operations helps.

7. More sets of eyes are better. Get other folks to take a look too. Everybody sees things differently. With my team, my technicians inspect, followed by the conduct of operations lead, followed by myself. I inspect last so that I am the accountable party.

As an example, I will pick a component inside a vehicle. I start with the first cable, and check each cable on that component one at a time. With each cable I check the fasteners on the connector and inspect for torque seal or other indicator that it is finialized. I then check for strain relief from the backshell. I then follow the cable checking all along for both problems with the cable and possible problems that may arise when it or something else moves. I’m always looking for sharp edges. At the other end of the cable I inspect strain relief and connector fasteners again. This cable will get inspected again in the other direction when I get to the component that the second end was attached to.

For tying wires, the standard we use is bundles tied together every 4” with actual support every 12”. This seems to work very well in my plane.
I insist that every connector, B-nut, fitting, etc has some indicator that it has been finalized. This is usually torque seal, but can be RTV (doesn’t create FOD and is easy to remove), safety wire, or something else as appropriate for the item at hand. I also avoid leaving anything in a test fit state. It’s good to test fit, but either remove or finalize the item before walking away. At the very least flag anything that looks like it is finalized but is not really.

This all seems like basic stuff, but the difference in what a person using a methodical approach finds vs. what a person that just looks at everything finds is huge.

Last edited:
Pierre?s post about his fuel line (here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=71747) made me think about inspection and how difficult it really is.

In my day job I work with a small team to design and build unmanned rockets. Although I was already an experienced engineer when I came into this job I still served an apprenticeship under the watchful eye of someone who had been in the rocket business much longer. One of the biggest and most difficult things I had to learn was how to inspect. A missed problem in my job can cost megabucks and lost lives. We take it very seriously.

If one sits and looks at a large bundle of plumbing and wiring without a methodical approach, any problems found are mostly due to being lucky. The mind and eye both need a systematic approach. Here are some pointers that may help:

1. Have a written list of systems you are going to inspect. A mental list doesn?t cut it.

2. Inspect each system one at a time. Group systems by location when feasible. Do not mix systems.

3. Pick one cable, hose, or tube at a time and follow its entire length. Touch is a huge help. Trace the item of interest with your finger. It takes discipline to not get distracted and start looking at something else. Use mirrors, lights, etc to facilitate.

4. While inspecting an item look not only for existing problems, but for problems that may arise if something moves, etc.

5. Don?t do it all at once. You will become weary and less attentive fairly soon. Take a short break, do something else for a bit and resume your inspection.

6. Try and have some time between the time you work on a system and when you inspect it. If you have just replaced a fuel hose it takes extreme discipline to inspect that hose and its connections adequately. Since you just installed it and it is now perfect in your mind it is really hard to get a fresh look. Time between the operations helps.

7. More sets of eyes are better. Get other folks to take a look too. Everybody sees things differently. With my team, my technicians inspect, followed by the conduct of operations lead, followed by myself. I inspect last so that I am the accountable party.

As an example, I will pick a component inside a vehicle. I start with the first cable, and check each cable on that component one at a time. With each cable I check the fasteners on the connector and inspect for torque seal or other indicator that it is finialized. I then check for strain relief from the backshell. I then follow the cable checking all along for both problems with the cable and possible problems that may arise when it or something else moves. I?m always looking for sharp edges. At the other end of the cable I inspect strain relief and connector fasteners again. This cable will get inspected again in the other direction when I get to the component that the second end was attached to.

For tying wires, the standard we use is bundles tied together every 4? with actual support every 12?. This seems to work very well in my plane.
I insist that every connector, B-nut, fitting, etc has some indicator that it has been finalized. This is usually torque seal, but can be RTV (doesn?t create FOD and is easy to remove), safety wire, or something else as appropriate for the item at hand. I also avoid leaving anything in a test fit state. It?s good to test fit, but either remove or finalize the item before walking away. At the very least flag anything that looks like it is finalized but is not really.

This all seems like basic stuff, but the difference in what a person using a methodical approach finds vs. what a person that just looks at everything finds is huge.

Guy,
This is outstanding! I learned a ton reading this! Thanks for memorializing this for all!

Great advice, Guy.

Thanks for the reminder. I almost left my new fuel line in a "test-fit" condition before lunch but decided, "NO...finalize it" and lunch had to wait.

I learned this the hard way when a Cessna 310 I was flying on its annual inspection acceptance flight lost the left engine as the wheels came up.

The mechanic had never tightened the fuel line where it entered the spider on top of the engine and fell off, spraying avgas all over the top of the engine. Why it didn't blaze, I'll never know.

Thanks again,

All of your points are good, and the correct use of Torque Seal as soon as a connection is finalized would help in a lot of the items.

Torque Seal is a cheap safety enhancer...:)

Last edited:
More tips

Thanks for starting this thread, I was considering the same topic after reading the same thread you mentioned.
My lovely wife says hire a professional!
I do not have any RV experiance so I will leave the checklist to those better qualified, however my 20 plus years of making airworthyness determinations has given me some insight as to how to proceed.
As I posted earlier, allmost all senses are available to use. Touch, smell, sight, and sound.
Touch. Get a helper to help load/operate the moving system or component. Hand on the flight control feeling for anything amiss while applying a slight pressure through a the full range of motion, both directions. Also used on engine controls. Finger on attach points for landing gear, engine mounts, wings ect.. while helper shakes aircraft or assembly. I like to shake the wheels off the ground if possible. Sound can help here too.
Smell. Right after a flight, what does the engine normally smell like? Also used to determine fluid type. (taste if you dare!) Many leaks end up being melting frost.
Sight. I do a few different types of visual inspections. By zone. Engine top, engine right side out front (like not behind the exaust), engine right behind, aft engine out front, aft engine behind. Once again front is not forward and behind is not aft. Don't be shy, remember all those times Mom said look with your eyes and not you hands? Now is NOT that time. I am looking for how everything relates to everything else, and a helper is required to manipulate the controls. Then I do a detailed Visual inspection of each system as previously posted.
Sound. With the wheels off the ground, and the brake pads off, place a screwdriver (or something) on the axle and your ear to the screw driver while spinning the tire. What does it normally sound like? (Some inspection requirements are 500 hrs to repack wheel bearings, to long to not check some way) Its fast and easy, can be done anytime there is cause for doubt. I also do this type of inspection on a running engine. You have to keep focus, it is not for everybody. You really can pick out different sounds, Valve noise on each cylinder, alternator, mags ect... When it comes to sound, it is good to get some experiance before there is trouble so you have a base line. I don't know it there is anything usefull in listening to cylinders, exept to say they are all about the same and it is kind of neat. I do this after a cylinder change. It can be usefull for the rotating components. Its possible to find rough pulleys this way to.
Allways and Never. As a kid I learned pretty quikly to check to make sure that the bathroom has toilet paper. As an adult I can honestly say I allways check, and I never have those problems.
I never use the engine compartment to set a tool on. I allways close the oil cap before stepping away from it, even if am going to get some oil to add. I allways leave something, all the way on, all the way off, flagged or written up. Do one thing at a time when possible. (This is for flying aircraft, line maintenance or schedualed inspections.) Large projects get a complete inspection when the project is complete, with all faults written up.
I am really intrested in not only what people find, but how.
I sure would like to here more tips.

Last edited:
I never use the engine compartment to set a tool on. I allways close the oil cap before stepping away from it, even if am going to get some oil to add. I allways leave something, all the way on, all the way off, flagged or written up. Do one thing at a time when possible. (This is for flying aircraft, line maintenance or schedualed inspections.) Large projects get a complete inspection when the project is complete, with all faults written up.

Good code to live by..."All the way on, or all the way off" One very common offense that I witness is spark plugs being installed finger tight "just to plug the hole". If you install the plug...Torque it! Also, don't put the ignition wires on without tightening them before you walk away(don't forget the back up wrench).