n38139

Well Known Member
What is the regulation that governs an RV Annual Inspection for an airplane that is not owned by the original builder?

thanks,

:confused:

The language is contained in the operating limitations for the particular plane. In general they state that the plane cannot be flown unless it has had a condition inspection within the preceding 12 calander months, and that a logbook entry must be made. The inspection and log entry must be made by either the holder of the repairman's certificate (generally the original builder) or a rated A&P mechanic.

Check your ops limitations and it's probably in there.

As I understand it....

The purpose of an IA's inspectioon on a certified aircraft is to verify that the aircraft still meets its Type Certificate. The A&P is fully qualified to say that the airplane is mechanically sound. Since an Experimental has no Type Certificate, the IA is not required.

At least, that is how the regs were explained to me...

Paul

IA Requirement

Ironflight said:
The purpose of an IA's inspectioon on a certified aircraft is to verify that the aircraft still meets its Type Certificate. The A&P is fully qualified to say that the airplane is mechanically sound. Since an Experimental has no Type Certificate, the IA is not required.

At least, that is how the regs were explained to me...

Paul

OK, Thanks for the info.

steve

This is correct. Any mechanic with an A&P rating can do the annual condition inspection on an amateur-built aircraft. Paul is correct in his reasoning to not require an IA.
Mel...DAR