Scott DellAngelo

Well Known Member
My 9A is just about done and I am thinking about trying to schedule an inspection. Of course I have all sorts of work travel trips scheduled so that makes things tough. Anyways I would like to schedule it, however I want to be sure I will have everything covered ahead of time, or can have a schedule to make sure that everything is covered.

I have the registration done and the card back. I have all of the other forms from the FAA. Are there anymore that need to go in, or just have them all filled out and ready at the inspection?

What needs to be removed from the airplane? I know cowl and wing access panels, emp fairing, and such, but what about seat floors, baggage back wall, flap actuator covers? (I will also ask the FSDO and see what they say)

Pitot/Static/Transponder check - I am inside O'hare's 30NM veil so I know I need it, but scheduling wise must that be done prior to FAA inspection?

A POH, flight test plan, anything like that that needs to be done and waiting for the inspection? If so what needs to be in them? I will have my laptop with lots of pictures and builders log for sure.

I know I need to have weight and balance done and have logbooks. Is there anything yet that really needs to be in the logbooks or just have them?

Thanks,
Scott
#90598 - Should be weighing it tomorrow
N598SD reserved

Ask the DAR, dude!

Scott DellAngelo said:
What needs to be removed from the airplane? I know cowl and wing access panels, emp fairing, and such, but what about seat floors, baggage back wall, flap actuator covers? (I will also ask the FSDO and see what they say)

Your DAR may say otherwise, but generally speaking -- if it can be removed, it should be. Give your inspector an easy time inspecting EVERYTHING. No doubt your workmanship is top notch, but you never know.

Pitot/Static/Transponder check

Only the transponder if you're VFR, or the full boat if you're IFR.

A POH, flight test plan, anything like that that needs to be done and waiting for the inspection? If so what needs to be in them? I will have my laptop with lots of pictures and builders log for sure.

You're asking us what your DAR wants. Ask your DAR, dude!

I know I need to have weight and balance done and have logbooks. Is there anything yet that really needs to be in the logbooks or just have them?

There is only one entry required in the airframe logbook, and that's your own signoff. Most DARs that I'm aware of will help you make that entry if you haven't already. My DAR brought a sticker entry for the logbook that I just signed.

Again, call your DAR and ask him/her these questions. Your DAR will help you with paperwork and requirements. That's a big part of what you get for paying for it!

)_( Dan

Excellent Randy, thanks. I plan to use the FAA

Edit: To follow up for others benefit/knowledge. I spoke with my FSDO and he said cowling off ONLY. Otherwise airplane should be ready to fly, everything on. He said have all paperwork ready and filled out but nothing else needs to be sent in. They want at least one hour of engine runtime prior to inspection.

Last edited:
You said it yourself, the FAA inspector only wants to see under the cowling. Yes, his "inspection" is free, but how much can he inspect. That's the big difference between the FAA and a DAR. I've been doing Airworthiness inspections for 6 years and have yet to find one with no discrepancies. I've seen a lot of VERY nice airplanes, but not the "perfect" one. IF you have a discrepancy, you want to find it in the hangar, not on the first flight. I have no problem with a person having the FAA do the certification. Just make sure you have every jam nut tight, all safety wire in place and everything in order.
Good Luck, Mel...DAR