RV8R999

Well Known Member
With about 1 year to go (wishful thinking) I thought it might be helpful to start a thread detailing any issues folks who've completed their -8's have had during the inspection in an effort to help the rest of us? All I ever read is "inspection completed...first flight was great!" which is what I want to say too!

Thanks,

Ken
Fuse Final Drilling (EMP, WINGS done).

get help

My biggest comment is to enlist mechanically inclined aviation friends (ideally RVers) or even a local A&P to come over and look at things. On my airplane 3 of us went over every nook and cranny before my inspection last week. We all found something others had missed, and it really minimized what the inspector found.

Another thing to do is start developing a relationship with your inspector early on. If its a local he might stop by occasionally if you like, buy him a beer etc. Also, he might have a written checklist (mine did) on things to have ready and prepped beforehand.

Dont sweat it, its a ways out there for you........

Tim

I had almost a dozen guys look over my 4 last summer before it was inspected and the inspector still found a few things. Mostly stand-off issues with wires etc. One of my headphone jack pairs wasn't labeled. I took care of it all while he was there but at the end of the inspection he informed me that he'd forgotten my airworthiness certificate at home. But just have some food ready for the guy and have a few guys standing by at the airport for misc. parts if you need them.

I've found inspectors are like the check airman I deal with at my airline. With some you finish and they give you an atta-boy, and others, well, they HAVE to find something wrong or they feel they haven't done their job. No check ride or airplane is perfect.

Good luck with your inspection. I'm sure it will go great.

I had a couple of A&P friends who helped from time to time, and were happy to come "inspect" things that I was unsure about. I also had a great EAA Tech Counselor (Mike Hilger) during the build. However, I had a third A&P come help as I neared the finish line. He went over the airplane with a fine toothed comb before inspection and found a few things that were good to catch. I am glad I had many sets of eyes look at the airplane. The inspection was uneventful.

The most common issues I find when doing airworthiness inspections are as follows;

DATA PLATE - It's VERY important that the information on the data plate (builder name, aircraft model, aircraft serial number) match the info as shown on the registration card (FAA Form 8050-3) exactly. If you use your middle initial in your builder name on the registration, it must appear on the data plate. If you use "Vans RV-6" on the registration, it must appear that way on the data plate. You can't leave out the "Vans" in one place if it appears in the other. Serial numbers must be the same. for example, it can't be "1" in one spot and "01" in another.

The builder name can be an issue for some inspectors because the FAA registration office will always reverse the first and last name. If you fill out your application for registration showing "John L Doe" as the builder, it WILL come back from the FAA with the builder shown as "Doe John L". Some inspectors insist that it be shown as "Doe John L" on the data plate as well. Others will allow "John L Doe". Check with your inspector ahead of time to make sure you don't run into a problem with this.

As a general suggestion, keep your model name as short and simple as possible. Remember that you have to show the entire model name on the data plate and the FAA inspector or DAR has to make it fit in a very small line on the airworthiness certificate. My very first inspection as a DAR was on a Pietenpol and the builder chose the model name "Pietenpol Aircamper 1932"! Needless to say, that didn't fit on the data plate OR the airworthiness certificate. Using "Vans RV-*" is workable, but just "RV-*" is better. Remember that simple is better in most cases.

N Numbers - There are LOTS of aircraft flying around with illegal N numbers. The FAA seems lax on this, but some inspectors go by the book (me included). Usually everyone gets the height correct (3 inches in most cases for homebuilts), but most get the spacing and other dimensions incorrect. Don't depend on your local sign shop or Aircraft Spruce to get this right for you. They do not! (The regulation actually says "1/4 of the character width, but that works out to 1/6 the height, as you'll see below.)

Spacing is the biggest issue. Most everyone gets the characters in the registration mark too close together. There must be one sixth of the height between each character, so for a 3 inch number there must be one half inch spacing.

Width of the character is another possible issue. Width must be 2/3 of the height (except for the number 1), so a 3 inch character should be 2 inches wide from edge to edge.

Stroke can sometimes be a problem as well. "Stroke" is the thickness of the lines that make up the characters of the N number. This must be 1/6 of the character height, so for a 3 inch N number the stroke must be 1/2 inch.

The N number can be either horizontal on the side of the fuselage between the trailing edge of the wing and the leading edge of the horizontal tail, or can be horizontal or vertical on the vertical tail surface. It can NOT be hidden under the horizontal stabilizer, and cannot be diagonal on either surface. It also must be contrasting to the background, uniform in height (i.e., not tapered) and cannot be ornamented in any way. Again, talk to your inspector before you spend a lot of money and time trying to design your N number into your paint scheme. It's NOT fun to have to tell a builder that the airworthiness certificate cannot be issued because the fancy paint job he/she paid big money for incorporates an illegal N number.

These are the things that your A&P probably won't catch. Your EAA Technical Counselor should, but often they get tangled up in the mechanical aspects and don't catch these "regulatory" issues.

Cheers!

Joe

Joe points out some biggies, but most issues your inspector/DAR might find will be easily remedied with the application of an adel clamp or a label (have a label maker at the inspection) and can be done while the inspector waits.

To expound on Joe's post. The registration numbers must be "BLOCK" style. No "script". And even though they may be vertically spaced on the vertical tail, the individual letters/numbers themselves must be horizontal. In other words, you shouldn't have to turn your head sideways to read it,
Also heed what he says about not depending on your painter. I have talked with several aircraft painters about this problem and their answer is, "I do what the customer wants."

Last edited: