Mel

Legacy Member
Mentor
I need a small BRIGHT flashlight for doing inspections. The ones I've come up with either cost an arm & a leg, or go through a set of batteries in one inspection. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced, small BRIGHT flashlight available?

Not sure how small you require, but you probably won't find a brighter or tougher light than this:
pelican light

We use the 2400 at the Powerplant and they are excellent. I personally carry a 2400 for night flights and always have a 2200 in my flight bag. Battery life is very good.

The beam of the 2400 is so good could be used as a landing light, but still usable up close.

in comparison to maglites, maglites are carp. YMMV

Last edited:
Second

I will second the recommendation for the Pelican 2400.

We used them in the fire service before I retired.

Good units.

Mel,

Just bought one at Harbor Freight yesterday with a LED bulb and a 20" flexible arm on it with magnet on the end. Uses 2 AA batteries and was a whooping $6.99. Works great for some places but I guess not close to the compass.

A Great Flashlight

Mel,

We have been using UK 4AA's at work for the past few years and really like them. They're small, light weight, and very bright. They come in LED and Xenon. I like the Xenon best. They also come in twist on/off as well as a thumb push button. I use the thumb button model and bought a couple for use at home as well. Prices vary up to $32.00 on ebay but I found them for $15.95 at Defense Devices.

http://www.defensedevices.com/uk4aaheli.html

Bill Settle
-8 Wings

Mel said:
I need a small BRIGHT flashlight for doing inspections. The ones I've come up with either cost an arm & a leg, or go through a set of batteries in one inspection. Does anyone know of a reasonably priced, small BRIGHT flashlight available?
Mel,

Others may disagree, but you would be hard pressed to find a brighter, longer lasting LED flashlight than the commonly available Mini Maglight LED AA.

maglite10ex3.jpg

All good reports

Thanks Guys,
I'll look into these. The ones from Sam's gets my attention.
Gives me directions to look.

Northern Tool has just what you are looking for.

Mel,

Check out this picture:

My wife gave me that flashlight for Christmas. They are less than $5 at Northern Tool. (I couldn't find them on their web site.)

If you can't find one at your local store, shoot me an email and I'll pick one up for you.

tysonb said:
I'm not sure what part of Dallas your in, but I'd suggest Fry's electroincs... They have a huge selection of spiffy blinding LED lights.

Store Location
Actually I'm northeast of Dallas. There is a Fry's in Plano. I'll check them out.
I've got to go to physical therapy this morning (recovering from Knee surgery). I'll make some rounds while I'm out.
Thanks.

2nd

I have to second the mini mag lite. I use one at work all the time and battery life is good and the light is focusable. and if you get rechargable batteries that is a non issue also.

Rick6a said:
Mel,

Others may disagree, but you would be hard pressed to find a brighter, longer lasting LED flashlight than the commonly available Mini Maglight LED AA.

maglite10ex3.jpg

I love this flashlight. Wal-Mart - $25, bright as anything you'll need, and the batteries will last longer since it's an LED.

I love my Streamlight stinger, its 15000 candle power and for trying to see things in the dim its perfect, sometimes too much light, I do not like the color of light from LEDs, just my 2 cents.
A stinger with a piggy back charger and battery will set you back about 130.00 but trust me its the best light I have ever owned, I have dropped this one from many a height and have yet to break a bulb. Oh and its explosion proof also.
I bought mine from the local Snap on guy but just google it and you can buy them online Im sure.

N282RV said:
I love my Streamlight stinger, its 15000 candle power and for trying to see things in the dim its perfect, sometimes too much light, I do not like the color of light from LEDs, just my 2 cents.
A stinger with a piggy back charger and battery will set you back about 130.00 but trust me its the best light I have ever owned, I have dropped this one from many a height and have yet to break a bulb. Oh and its explosion proof also.
I bought mine from the local Snap on guy but just google it and you can buy them online Im sure.

Streamlight is one of the top units out there, favorite of a lot of police and fire depts.

High priced, but easy to justify when your safety may depend on it.

Check into local police/fire/uniform stores.

I think it is overkill, however for the use you are looking for.