Dave12

Well Known Member
I am currently performing my first cond. inspection. I pulled my fuel tank for the inspection and to comply with the modification. Upon further inspection, I found that two of the screws that secure the inspection panel that is directly beneath the tank have started to chafe the bottom of the tank. What caught my eye was two little outlines of the phillips screw head on the aluminum. It appears that the clearance is very close in this area. Left unchecked, I am fairly sure this screw head would chafe right though the bottom of the tank. I cleaned the area and applied some pro-seal and will use a countersunk screw in that area.

Hey Dave - -

Can you post a picture so this is a little more clear ( at least to me ). Which 2 screws ?

Thanks,

John Bender

I am currently performing my first cond. inspection. I pulled my fuel tank for the inspection and to comply with the modification. Upon further inspection, I found that two of the screws that secure the inspection panel that is directly beneath the tank have started to chafe the bottom of the tank. What caught my eye was two little outlines of the phillips screw head on the aluminum. It appears that the clearance is very close in this area. Left unchecked, I am fairly sure this screw head would chafe right though the bottom of the tank. I cleaned the area and applied some pro-seal and will use a countersunk screw in that area.

The screws located under the tank are specified to be flush screws ( the floor panels and ribs get dimple countersunk)
Did you overlook this and install regular round head screws?

Imagine my delight when I removed the suspect screws and found all those dimples in the inspection covers and the baggage floor? The devil is in the details!