flybill7

Well Known Member
Having tipped the canoe and set the fuselage about 23" off the floor, supported at the F-704 bulkhead and back at the tail, I'm wondering how builders have worked on the fuse inners. Is it OK to climb into it as long as you sit or kneel in the seat area? Or do you have to do everything by leaning over the sides? I think I know what the answer is but just want to get some other perspectives.

Thanks in advance,

FUSELAGESTAND%20053.jpg

Just use cushions

I've sat, kneeled, or laid down on just about every inch of my fuselage (at least as far back into the tailcone as I can fit). I lay thick styrofoam cushions down to keep from denting it with my knees or elbows.

Fuselage heighth

Hi,

I am 5'8" and this was a problem. Finally, I bought a couple of wood sawhorses and cut them down to about 18." This allowed me to reach in to virtually all areas. Also kept the firewally recess out as long as possible to allow access to the front area.

In contrast, my neighbor is building a 7A and he is fine with the thing on the gear. At 6'4" it is easy for him.

Whatever you do, make it comfortable for you to work.

Bill:

I wouldn't step into it unless the floors are secured. The structure is nice and strong when connected. I'm 265 lb and I can stand in the baggage compartment however, the ribs now show under the floor. I have my honey work in the back (connecting cables and static). She's nice and small and light - this is her contribution. Put some plywood down to spread your weight and you shouldn't have any problems. Just watch out for your seat hinges, they are made of very soft aluminum.

I used to build radio controlled aircraft and learned first hand about the strength of a good structure. I could stand on the top of a properly built balsawood wing and it would be fine, and that was at 200 lb.

Jekyll

flybill7 said:
Having tipped the canoe and set the fuselage about 23" off the floor, supported at the F-704 bulkhead and back at the tail, I'm wondering how builders have worked on the fuse inners. Is it OK to climb into it as long as you sit or kneel in the seat area? Or do you have to do everything by leaning over the sides? I think I know what the answer is but just want to get some other perspectives.

Thanks in advance,

I would suggest that you fabricate a plywood platform that will fit in the talicone.You might want to make it in two oieces for ease of placement.
That's what a friend of mine did for his RV8A. Polyurethane them and save them for future use.

Peter Laurence
RV9A waiting for fuse

Plane Stand

I mounted mine on wheels and it was easy to work on and maneuver in the shop.

I never had to climb inside to do any of the work but you have to keep it as low as possible to the ground. I just leaned inside and got the job done.

Jose Borja
Elk Mound, WI

rv2.jpg

You'll soon realize you'll have more hours in the cockpit while its in your shop than you could ever put on it the first year when its flying. This is certainly a topic that could easily open up for debate. There has got to be about 400 hours alone forward of the seats maybe more. Even the best of planners will find themselves saying... damn I should have done that long ago and find themselves crawling inside the cockpit on their backs under the panel on top of as many cushions as you can round up. Ask me how I know ;)