cleve_thompson

Well Known Member
I am trying to finish the enpennage before my RV 9A quickbuild comes in next week and I can't get the rod end bearings into their nutplates on the elevator and I guess the rudder as well. I scarred up one terribly trying to use a crow's foot wrench that was just a "smidgen" too large. I have ordered another from Van's but don't want to mess-up the rest of them.

I have seen, in looking through the old posts, that Boelube will help make the installation easier. Any experience with this? Even if it does ease the amount of torque some, what tool will I use to turn it in if fingers don't work.

Cleve Thompson

Avery makes a slick tool for this. You can make one out of PVC, or chop up an old socket (14mm works well, I think). I tried both and then spent a couple of bucks and bought Avery's. Problem solved.

boeloube is magic stuff for gettign things into nutplates for the first time - I use on everything that goes into one - large or small.

I agree that Avery's tool looks like it will do the job, but being cheap, and having lots of PVC laying around, I made the tool, and it worked fine....

Paul

Boelube

I think it was Dan's website that first mentioned Boelube paste; MAGIC!!
I made the tool from an old pipe; it was a very thick walled metal pipe, so I heated it up and squashed the end until it fitted. It was 'ok', but next time I did an Avery order I just added the 'proper' tool to the order. Just a few extra dollars and it fits much better than my squahed pipe ever will...

I know they can be quite tight going into the nutplates but I don't recollect them being as tight as you say they are. I have noticed a few times that there no threads in the nutplates (more so on the smaller sizes). Just verify the threads are there and you are not trying to "cut" new threads.

Peter
RV-9A Flying

Go to the Aviation section of Wal-Mart and pick up a Gator Grip. $8-9 bucks well spent. Fits the bearings perfectly and doesn't leave a scratch.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Canadian tools

what do Canadians do with old hockey sticks?

canadian_tool.jpg

We make rod end bearing tools.

Tap the Nutplate

I had trouble with getting a REB to start in a nutplate on my L elevator last week and was afraid I would damage the threads on a $26.00 rod end bearing. I ordered a 3/8-24 (right hand) tap from ACS for $8.00. I received the tap on Thursday and tapped the nutplate. The REB went in perfectly...the tapping took all of 5 minutes.

Remember, the nutplate costs $.12 The rod end bearing costs $26.00. Buy the tap! Beolube will NOT correct bad threads.

Thank you guys for the help. Today was a bad day. Nothing seemed to work. I ordered the Rod End Bearing tool and boelube from Avery tonight. I hope that the problem is sloved....when the new bearing comes from Van's.

An old trick: wrap several layers of duct tape around the rod end and use vise grips. Works great, just don't squeeze too hard.

I asked Vans tech assist about the jam nut torque and they said "just snug".

Jekyll