N941WR

Legacy Member
Have any of you with a SkyView installed an INS-429?

If so, I would like to hear any comments you might have.

I have a INS-429 and a Skyview, but they do not talk to each other. Now I do have the INS-429 connected to my G430W. This way I can display the G430W on the INS-429 or the Skyview. This is actually a pretty cool and useful setup.

:cool:

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Still, it might be the best way to add some (limited) IFR capability to my -9.

A 430 is way out of the budget right now and I'm sick of being stuck due to weather.

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Still, it might be the best way to add some (limited) IFR capability to my -9.

A 430 is way out of the budget right now and I'm sick of being stuck due to weather.

The INS-429 is a GREAT way to add IFR capability to your airplane. Now, how long the VOR's will be around is anybody's guess. But, FWIW, it also has ILS and MB.

The INS-429 is a GREAT way to add IFR capability to your airplane. Now, how long the VOR's will be around is anybody's guess. But, FWIW, it also has ILS and MB.

I was thinking the same thing regarding how long the VORs will be around. As you mentioned, the capability of that thing is stunning; VOR, LOC, GS, & marker beacons! All that for less than $1,800!

Of course, I would have to add an antenna (or is it two?). I figure the Archer VOR wingtip antenna would do the trick.

Bill, also consider the Val Nav 2000. Full LOC/ILS/GS but no marker beacon for around $1,200 USD.

And it will talk to your SkyView!

Bill, also consider the Val Nav 2000. Full LOC/ILS/GS but no marker beacon for around $1,200 USD.

And it will talk to your SkyView!

There was a guy on the Dynon forum that was trying to make this work and had some issues. Not sure if he ever got them sorted out or not but you might want to investigate.

There was a guy on the Dynon forum that was trying to make this work and had some issues. Not sure if he ever got them sorted out or not but you might want to investigate.

I can put you in touch with him if you want to talk about it with him. PM me if you want his contact info.

We are working with VAL on the NAV 2000 and it does work. They have updated firmware that makes it work like the SL-30 in the ways that SkyView needed.

You May Still Not Be "Legal" for An ILS

Bill:
You'll still need to identify the FAF. Without a marker beacon receiver, you'll need a certified GPS (unless a cross-radial VOR is specified). Currently, I'm also using a 429 (love the 10 dot indication from center and the reverse sensing). Eventually, we'll all need certified/WAAS to fly instruments. I'm hoping VAL, Dynon, or one of the others will build something with a lower price point than Garmin. Good luck.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Of course, I would have to add an antenna (or is it two?). I figure the Archer VOR wingtip antenna would do the trick.

You'll need two, one for VOR (with a splitter for GS if there's not an internal one) and one for the MB. Archer makes wing tip antennas for both.

Bill:
You'll still need to identify the FAF. Without a marker beacon receiver, you'll need a certified GPS (unless a cross-radial VOR is specified). Currently, I'm also using a 429 (love the 10 dot indication from center and the reverse sensing). Eventually, we'll all need certified/WAAS to fly instruments. I'm hoping VAL, Dynon, or one of the others will build something with a lower price point than Garmin. Good luck.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Some audio panels (like mine) have a built in MB receiver. You can find some like that at quite reasonable prices.

You'll need two, one for VOR (with a splitter for GS if there's not an internal one) and one for the MB. Archer makes wing tip antennas for both.

The MB antenna is just a long wire and very easy to build. I made mine out of some copper tape and it works great.