pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
Just starting to put the wheels together for my -6A and ran into a question that none of the local EAA guys could answer. The tubes came with a washer, thick nut, and thin nut. It looks like the washer goes on the tube side of the valve stem, followed by the large nut, but where in the heck does the thin nut go? Is is supposed to be lock nut for the large nut or does it go on the outside of the rim? (I've been about ready to put it in the spare parts bin) I looked on various tire and tube sites with no luck. Any help out there? Thanks guys.
Paul

Hmmm, interesting

I also had this same dilema, in my case, I left that one out. I believe there are wheel styles that use that second nut as a locking nut, or a way to provide support to the valve stem. But I'll set back and see what the experts say... I can always break mine down and fix it, once someone explains where that other nut goes.

Thanks Alan, I ran this one past an IA and two airline AP's at our chapter meeting last night with no luck. I also asked a couple of the members who have homebuilts. No clear answer. Hope some of the folks here can shed some light on this.
Paul

mounting tires

called vans on this some time ago and was told not to use the hardware however you may want to call them yourself because i dont recall specifically which peice or if all hdwe was ommitted

Throw all the tube hardware (except the valve cap) in your junk drawer. None of the nuts and washers are needed.

Sam Buchanan (RV-6, 715 hrs, many tire remounts :D )

lock nut

I use the thin nut to lock up against the valve cap......It likely isn't really needed, but ensures the valve cap does not come off.....remember there is a rubber gasket inside the cap to prevent air from leaking out if the valve for some reason fails or leaks......

To follow up

I went and looked at what I did after my original post. I used the larger nut, the one with a "bump" on it. I put the flat edge (not the side with the raised bump) against the tube all the way to the bottom of the threads. I then put the tube in such that that nut protruded out of the half moon shaped hole cut in both halfs of the wheel when it was assembled.

My hope is that the nut would provide a better *bearing* area than not having anything in that split hole in the wheel. I then didn't use the other *thin* nut.

Consensus says!

Thanks guys! I must have stirred up some local dust at the meeting last night too! I got a couple calls from my friends saying they checked around. The winner seems to be to use the large nut in the opening to keep the stem from twisting and either use the small flat nut as a jam nut for the valve cap or put it in the spare parts bin. I knew I could count on this group to help me out! Now I can press on with the brake calipers. Thanks again.
Paul