Clouddancer

Well Known Member
I plan to have a fuel filter in each wing root. I have seen really neat installations of inline fuel filter or even gascolators in wing roots on this forum.
I probably go with the inline fuel filter, because of the following reasons:
- space is marginal (RV-4 has a smaller gap between fuselage and wing than the other RV's)
- plane is aerobatic, i.e. if I don't drain the gascolator before each aerobatic flight I will get the water in my engine. So I will have to drain 4 locations (2 tanks, 2 gascolators)

Now my question: How do you maintain and clean your inline fuel filters (no matter if it's in the wing root or somewhere else)? I don't feel comfortable to remove the hard fuel line too many times without damaging it. Could a flexible fuel line be a solution?

Thanks for your inputs.

Just remember that with this setup you'll have to drain your fuel tank to change the filter. The standard location for the filter being downstream from the fuel shutoff valve has advantages. -Jim

Fuel Line

I used a flex fuel line on my in line filter and it has worked great. I changed it out last year after 4 years because it had some surface cracks on it. The standard replacement time is five years on repacing flex lines and mine could probably have gone another year.

Just remember that with this setup you'll have to drain your fuel tank to change the filter. The standard location for the filter being downstream from the fuel shutoff valve has advantages. -Jim

My filters are upstream of the valve. I installed a small "ball" valve upstream of each filter for servicing.

Another option

My filters are upstream of the valve. I installed a small "ball" valve upstream of each filter for servicing.

Another option is to have an AN806-06D fitting on hand, when you service "wing root" fuel filters. These will allow you to simply plug the line coming from your fuel tank, during servicing. A small amount of fuel will be lost,while you install and remove the plug. See

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an806-2d.php

Charlie

Need your advice Mel

Pretty much copying your fuel system Mel and wondered what kind of ball valves you used. NPT thread? What type of seal (Teflon)?. I can get my hands on all kinds of valves since I'm a pipe fitter but thought maybe you found something special that would adapt better to the tight location and avgas.
Thanks,
Tom