WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
I don't want to remove too much fiberglass or inlet ramp metal, so I'm questioning what size gap should I make between the cowl inlets and the adjacent baffle ramps before I attach the rubber seals? I don't know how hard it is to get those rubber seals on top of the ramps when I put lower cowl on. Plans talk about the 1/16 offset between the two to allow the rubber to lay flat on the ramps, but nothing about the gap. I used 3/8 to 1/2 gap inside the upper cowl and baffles. Thanks.

I don't want to remove too much fiberglass or inlet ramp metal, so I'm questioning what size gap should I make between the cowl inlets and the adjacent baffle ramps before I attach the rubber seals? I don't know how hard it is to get those rubber seals on top of the ramps when I put lower cowl on. Plans talk about the 1/16 offset between the two to allow the rubber to lay flat on the ramps, but nothing about the gap. I used 3/8 to 1/2 gap inside the upper cowl and baffles. Thanks.

My RV-6 has been flying 16-years. I used 3/8" gap everywhere. IMHO, 3/8" is the minimum that is needed to get the cowl on and off. Less would be too difficult.