CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
So the lycoming Service instructions are a little vague on this, but I'm trying to figure out the initial oil fill for my IO-540. It holds a maximum of 12 quarts, so should I fill it 100% when I fill it? I'm using mineral oil of course and did the process to remove the preserving oil, etc... So I'm wondering if I fill it all the way as for the operational planes I fly we always keep it lower at like 8 quarts.

Also, what about the lines and oil cooler - they have to factor into the oil quantity. So do I need to fill and some how get it pumped into the oil cooler and THEN fill to the full 12 quarts?

What I did.

How I did it was to put in 9 quarts, knowing that the engine will have enough oil to be safely run.

I planned on changing oil after 5 hours or so, and didnt see any reason to throw away any more $$$ on oil than I had to.

I still only fill to 9 quarts, plus a can of Cam Guard.

Filled cooler and sump to 11 qts then primed

By removing lower plug from each cylinder, disconnecting plug leads from remaining plugs, turning over with starter until oil came out pressure sender hose. First flight with 10.5 Qts. I maintain 9-10 at all times.

And a few on VAF have found that when maintained between 6-7Qts, there is none on the belly and only in flight burn is recorded.

I have found this to be true.

There are no hard rules here....I think you guys use the saying YMMV.