prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm part way through the process of pickling my plane for winter. I've put in Aeroshell 2F and run this through, drained my fuel (it was autogas so I wanted to take it out for winter) and removed my battery. On the weekend I'll be putting the dehydrator plugs in. I've heard it recommended to spray oil into the cylinders when taking the plugs out to put the dehydrator plugs in. I don't have any 2F yet, and this would be too thick to practically spray. A local AME (Canada's A&P designation) suggested just getting some inhibiting oil meant for storage of outboard marine motors and spraying this in. Is this a good suggestion? Any other suggestion?

Phil, I use Shell PX11 pickling oil for spraying my cylinders for storage. Like all pickling oils it's quite viscous and doesn't tend to spray well at ambient temperatures. I use a cheap high pressure engine cleaner spray gun (attached to my compressor) for spraying oil into the cylinders. Firstly I heat up the Shell PX11 and it thins out and becomes very sprayable....produces a nice fine mist. A short burst in the top and bottom plug holes will do the trick, followed by dessicant plugs.

Last edited:
AVL or LPS?

What about AVL corrosion inhibiting oil or LPS rust inhibiting oil? Both come in a spray can and are conveniently available from Spruce. Would there by any reason *not* to spray these into my cylinders? Could they lead to damage in any way?

What about AVL corrosion inhibiting oil or LPS rust inhibiting oil? Both come in a spray can and are conveniently available from Spruce. Would there by any reason *not* to spray these into my cylinders? Could they lead to damage in any way?

I have LPS 1, 2, and 3 and they might work OK but I prefer to use an approved aviation pickling oil so that I don't have to be the "test pilot". :D

Hi Phil

I've been using inhibiting oil in the engine of my RV-4 for the last 5-6 years and it is workinhg really well.

I bought a can from Canadian Tire and just spray the inside of the cylinders every time I put the aircraft to bed ( Will be doing that in the next 2-3 weeks )

I also used Shell 2F every winter.

Don't forget to seal all air entry to the engine ( Exhaust ( I used rubber balls to plug the pipes ) carburator intake and every where else humidity can get inside the engine )

I will only fly my RV in the winter if I owned a warm hangar...Mind you,I fly for a living so it makes the wait a little more bearable..

A++

Bruno

Don't forget to seal all air entry to the engine ( Exhaust ( I used rubber balls to plug the pipes ) carburator intake and every where else humidity can get inside the engine )

Is there any concern that doing this could actually trap the moisture *in* the engine? The air in ottawa is pretty dry in the winter - I would imagine there's more moisture already in the engine when i do the winter storage prep than there would be in the outside air in the following weeks as the temperature drops.

I thought about getting the exhaust dessicators, but spruce is out of these. I could alternatively just put a bunch of dessicant in a ziplock bag and duct-tape this to the end of the exhaust pipes. I realize the best option is to build/buy an engine dryer system - but I don't have time to do that this fall, and I don't want to spend over 300 bucks on that right now.

Winterization

Hi Phil

The rubber ball's thing was suggested to me by a few AMEs so far and by an overhaul shop so I guess they hopefully know what they are talking about..

'' Exhaust Dessicators'' will probably be better if they sealed as good as the rubbers balls..

The air is St-Jerome ( 80 nm east of YOW ) is about the same as far as I know..;-)

A++

Bruno

The air is St-Jerome ( 80 nm east of YOW ) is about the same as far as I know..;-)

Another factor (there are so many factors to consider in this stuff!) is that soon the temperature up here will be chronically below freezing (soon well below freezing) and so for winter storage, any moisture in the air or in the crankcase will be frozen.

In any case, I've just ordered the Tempest engine dryer system from Spruce. I'll use that either periodically or continuously over the winter just to be sure.

I hate that you guys have to put the RV's into hibernation. Does everyone do that up North? I'd be rusty come Spring myself.

Nope! We fly in winter, which means clearing 20 x 40 ft of snow to open the hangar doors, preheat engine with kerosene fired salamander running on a portable generator (no electricity in the hangar). Have flown in -20C weather. You really have to want to fly .... :D

Phil just takes a more sane approach to flying, and waits for spring.

I'd be pretty crazy by Spring. Boy does my family love the performance and visibility compared to summer. Usually we don't get much snow down here in Kentucky anymore.

Winterisation

Phil

''Tempest engine dryer system',

Could you post an update later once you have used it for a while just to report how you like it??

Thanks

Bruno