Cement85

My father recently passed leaving me his nearly completed RV-4, dad was an attorney so the paperwork is perfect, logs, pics all bases covered.

I hold an A&P, IRR, PP tickets with 400hrs, so I'm not worried about completing the project and being able to use it when done. My concern is with the FAA and taking over a project where I am not the primary builder.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to approach the FAA and what their requirements will be?

Alex,
As long as you can show that the airplane was built by an amatuer (using your Dad's documentation), you should have no problem getting the pink slip. And if you can convince the FSDO that you know enough about the construction of the plane, you may also be able to get the Repairman Certificate. Good luck.

AND, since you hold and A&P, it doesn't really matter whether you have the repairman certificate or not. As an A&P, you can do the condition inspections. Good luck, and sorry about your dad.

Bob Kelly

Note: Since I am only a short distance from you (near Columbus, IN) I would be available if you need another set of eyes.

Last edited:
He's an A&P. He already has the Repairmans certificate.:D

I see in Alex's profile that he is working outside the A&P profession now. If his ticket expires for any reason, the Repairman's Certificate would allow him to perform the condition inspection. The Repairman's Certificate doesn't expire.

And if you want to sell the project I'd be interested. Perhaps you want something else. This is exactly the project and the stage I'm looking for.

Best regards to you and the memory of your father.

Tracy

I see in Alex's profile that he is working outside the A&P profession now. If his ticket expires for any reason, the Repairman's Certificate would allow him to perform the condition inspection. The Repairman's Certificate doesn't expire.

Nor does the A&P certificate. Only the IA add on to an A&P certificate expires (requires recurrent training to keep it in effect).

Nor does the A&P certificate. Only the IA add on to an A&P certificate expires (requires recurrent training to keep it in effect).

Correct, but doesn't FAR 65.83 establish currency requirements to be able to exercise the priveledges of the certificate (just like a pilot needs to maintain currency)? So if an A&P is not current, he would not be able to sign off on a condition inspection but if he had the Repairman's Certificate he would always be able to sign it off. I still think it would be worth while to apply for the RC. I am not an A&P so if my logic is wrong on this please correct me... Thanks

Last edited:
There are currency requirements for an A&P license, but that can be met by maintaining your own aircraft. See 65.83, all it says it that you must serve as a mechanic under your certificate and rating, doesn't say you had to get paid to do it.

There are currency requirements for an A&P license, but that can be met by maintaining your own aircraft. See 65.83, all it says it that you must serve as a mechanic under your certificate and rating, doesn't say you had to get paid to do it.

Thanks for the replies, I believe that building this will keep my ticket active, I could be wrong.

The RC only covers the airframe, what do you all do for the engine inspection?

And if you want to sell the project I'd be interested. Perhaps you want something else. This is exactly the project and the stage I'm looking for.

Best regards to you and the memory of your father.

Tracy

Thanks for the interest, I was given this with the understanding I would complete it and fly it.

My dad flew P-51s in Europe and was always seeking an aircraft with that kind of performance, he almost made it, now I will complete the dream!!!!