tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I just went to a new kneeboard that has rings to attach plastic page sleeves to hold information cards, approach plates, or whatever you want to put in them. My previous kneeboard had the aluminum clipboard under a clear plastic cover and showed things like:

IFR/VFR cruising altitudes
lightgun signals
flight plan form
etc

I would like to put that information on cards on my new kneeboard. I'm sure that some of you are using that method. Where did you get the cards? If you made them yourselves and have them on your computer would you mind sharing? Any thoughts about other useful information to put there?

Tony, I don't have any files to send you, but here are some other suggestions for information that might be nice to have readily available:

-- Air defense intercept procedures.
-- PIREP format.
-- "Menu cheat-sheet" for EFIS or other avionics.
-- Local-area information (ATIS/Unicom freqs, divert field headings and distance, ILS freqs, etc.)
-- Passwords for logging into VAF, DUATS, Flight planning software, etc., while you're out on a cross-country.
-- Phone numbers (Tower, Approach, ARTCC, Air Force Rescue Coordination Center, girlfriends, etc.)

Just some suggestions off the top of my head. I'm sure other folks will think of more.

Cheers,
Buck

Zuluworks...

Maybe these are the things you are thinking of....

http://zuluworks.com/prod/zulucards/zulucards_main.htm

standard_lg_1.jpg

Clear and easy to read....

gil in Tucson

Kinko's

If you make your own with Word or similar software, you can get it laminated at Kinko's very reasonably. I have a credit-card size one, two sided, with flight plan, frequencies, phone numbers, etc.

Print it yourself...

hevansrv7a said:
If you make your own with Word or similar software, you can get it laminated at Kinko's very reasonably. I have a credit-card size one, two sided, with flight plan, frequencies, phone numbers, etc.

Good Idea.... the ZuluWorks ones are nice but seem somewhat expensive for what you get.... :)

Or you could use a loose leaf ex-USAF checklist binder and just insert sheets as needed.
I like inserting the FAA PDF files of runway/taxi dgrams for the large airports I fly into... A full sheet from your printer folded in two makes a nice 2-sided insert.

Checklist_binder.jpg

gil in Tucson

Thanks

Guys, thanks for your input.

Gil, I actually have one of those military checklist binders. I bought it at the Navy exchange for about $12. I am using the rings and plastic sleeves on my new kneeboard.

The items that I now have are an intercept procedures card and a runway marking card.

Tony

Can I buy them new?

tonyjohnson said:
Guys, thanks for your input.

Gil, I actually have one of those military checklist binders. I bought it at the Navy exchange for about $12. I am using the rings and plastic sleeves on my new kneeboard.

The items that I now have are an intercept procedures card and a runway marking card.

Tony

I bought one at an airshow and made my own checklist for use in my Tiger.

I made it so it does't have the stupid 12 pt type that the commercial checklists have... :)
Even though I have good eyesight close up... :cool:

Buy another one for your regular checklists -- :)

Does your post mean I can get my ex-military buddies to buy these new for me at the PX?

gil in Tucson

info cards

Gil,

I am just going to use the pages from the checklist binder, and keep other checklists in the binder. You can buy the rings for the binder at office supply stores.

Yep, if you have a buddy who has access to a base exchange, they can get you one. The only base exchanges where I have seen them are avaiton bases. I think I bought mine at NAS Ft Worth. Unfortunately I am no longer assigned there :(

D-M - Tucson

tonyjohnson said:
Gil,
Yep, if you have a buddy who has access to a base exchange, they can get you one. The only base exchanges where I have seen them are avaiton bases. I think I bought mine at NAS Ft Worth. Unfortunately I am no longer assigned there :(

Since our local base is Davis-Monthan, I should be able to have a local ex-military pilot get me a new one.... and I thought they only came surplus... :)

http://www.dm.af.mil/units/

....thanks for the info... gil in Tucson