638RS

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any first hand experience on staying in Fond Du Lac vs OSH? I understand dormitory's and on field camping are available. Along with shuttle service to the event. Could not find much information on the EAA web site as to what the facilities are like.

Thanks

We camped at Fond du Lac Sunday thru Tuesday because the North 40 at OSH was full up until Wednesday in 2007. Camping is free. The shuttle bus makes round trips every hour or so to OSH. The last bus leaves OSH around 9 pm. The round trip costs about $20 (the same as OSH camping fee). The showers were never crowded. On-field breakfast cost less than $8 and is served from a "gut truck".
Fewer campers means shorter waiting times but it just doesn't have the same ambience as the big show 25 miles to the north at OSH.

Steve

Does anyone have any first hand experience on staying in Fond Du Lac vs OSH? I understand dormitory's and on field camping are available. Along with shuttle service to the event. Could not find much information on the EAA web site as to what the facilities are like.

Thanks

Before i had my RV's i flew along with other pilots to Fond Du Lac. The bus ride takes about an hour each way. In my opinion, a waste of good time. My question would be- Why would you want to do this?

If you are concerned about the tension and risk of a flight into Oshkosh, don't be. Speaking as one who has done it a number of times, it is fairly simple and works very well. The hardest part is just finding Ripon at the notam prescribed altitiude, and then follow the line in.

Once you land, ask the aircraft handlers to direct you to the homebuilt camping area. It is a relatively quiet and off the beaten path area.

Steve Ciha

Thanks

for the information... It is not a question of avoiding flying into OSH, I have done it in the past. This year I have limited time and only have an overnight so I was looking for somewhere I could get in and out easy without having to deal with the airshow...

I stayed there one year because we missed RIPON by 30 seconds. GRRR!!!

I had never seen mosquitoes in swarms as thick as gnats before. Be warned, they descend for about an hour or 2 at sundown.

Once you land, ask the aircraft handlers to direct you to the homebuilt camping area. It is a relatively quiet and off the beaten path area.
Pop quiz time- what is the acceptable method of accomplishing this?

Now, to make it relevant to the OP- the airshow does pretty much shut everything down from 2:30 to 6:30PM every day. However after the show the field is open and you should have no trouble getting in or out after the show. Just something to consider.