Rick RV-4

Well Known Member
Thanks in advance to all who answer . . .

Started wiring my Infinity grip. I have switch #5 (the BLUE "pinky" switch) controlling the on and off function of the boost pump. This was ordered as the 8636 "Push On/Push Off" type of switch.

I ran the BLUE/BLACK wire from the grip to a 2 AMP fuse (from what I can tell the pump draws 1 AMP at 12 volts). I ran the BLUE wire to the pump itself. The pump is grounded at the airframe (the only component on the whole plane I grounded this way).

When I turn on the master switch, the pump immediately turns on and will not stop running no matter what I do. I've even tried all of the switches in case I used the wrong BLUE wire. In my grip there are two BLUE wires - the other is for the trim coolie hat. The instructions say the 20 AWG wire is for the pump, the 22 AWG wire is for the trim. I made sure I used the thicker (20 AWG) wire as the instructions say.

Any ideas (or am I totally messing this up?)? Swing and a miss so far on the grip!

Thanks!

Rick Stoffel
RV-4

double check the wiring

If the pump goes on as soon as the master is switched then you must have used the wrong wire out of the grip. Other possibilities include a defective switch always in the on position and a wire where the shielding has been damaged and it is coming in contact with another wire. With an ohm meter you should test/double check which wire is which and confirm operation of the switch before connecting it. I don't have all my paperwork here to check the amperage but I decided to run the fuel pump through a relay to save the switch on the stick. I am using an Airflow Performace pump though.

Follow up . . .

After thinking about this more, I figure I MUST have the two correct wires, otherwise no power at all. That leads me to believe I either have the wrong type of switch, or when I put the grip back together, I didn't "seat" the switch properly. FWIW, the button "feels" right (good clicking action).

I'll wait to hear back from Infinity, but if I don't hear back soon, I'll probably have to remove the grip, take it apart, check the button/switch, and reinstall it.

Thanks,

Rick

Not sure what style fuel pump you have but Van suggests a 5 amp fuse and 18 ga wire for the standard Facet ES 40108 fuel pump. Perhaps you have empirically determined the current draw but 1 or 2 amps really sounds low to me. I couldn't find switch current ratings anywhere on the infinity web site so I don't know what current their switch will handle but the 20 ga wire may be cutting things a bit close.

Use a meter

Use an ohmmeter, multimeter, or continuity tester to check the actual wires coming out of grip. Be sure to disconnect them from the aircraft wiring first so as not to confuse the meter. Cycle the switch to see that it is operating correctly or not. Don't forget to check continuity between each wire and chassis ground to check for shorts to ground such as a squished wire in the grip to stick area.

If your wiring is found to be correct, you may have put too much current through the switch causing it to weld closed.

Good luck

Bevan