jthocker

Well Known Member
I've been putting off ordering my stick grips because I couldn't decide on switch layout.
I sold my cross country missioned RV6A to build a VFR 8 and focus on local flying and formation.
With formation in mind what have others found useful for their stick buttons and positions on the grip. I know from experience that I seldom had my hand while (actually flying formation) in the grip. So I'd like to here from Infinity grip formation guy's on what they like or would do different next time.
Thanks

Having spent many hours formation flying in my RV-8, I prefer Trim, PTT and ACT/STDBY freq control on the stick with Flaps and a second PTT on the throttle. I also have my radio stack on the left side so my right hand never leaves the stick. That said, everyone has their own personal preference and there probably is no right way.

jthocker said:
I've been putting off ordering my stick grips because I couldn't decide on switch layout.(snip) So I'd like to here from Infinity grip formation guy's on what they like or would do different next time.
Thanks

Obvious choices are the Trim, PTT and frequency flip/flop. If you have smoke, you probably want that on the stick too.

In my RV-8, I have the freq flip/flop to the left of the coolie hat, start on the right. I use the trigger for PTT.

The other switches depend on the type of flying you do, but I have the A/P disconnect on the left (thumb) switch and transponder ident on the pinkie reach-around switch.

Some people worry about the start switch on the stick. I have it wired in series with a "Start Enable" toggle on the panel next to the mags. After the engine is running, I disable the start switch. I like being able to easily hold the stick back for start, while I use my left hand to fiddle with the engine controls.

I would do it all the same again, except that if I had smoke I'd probably put it where the transponder switch is.

Stick grip

Thanks guys
My initial thought is .... coolie for trim, thumb top left for flaps, thumb top right for comm flip flop, thumb middle for boost pump, trigger for PTT, and pinkie for smoke. I was going to put in AP disconnect but after reading JD from Infinity's comments about switch layout I've changed my mind. I don't plan to fly IFR in the 8 and since in the other 8 I fly (DC-8) I never let the AP fly the approach, why should I waste a switch on the AP, so smoke it is.

Infinity Cable

An update on my previous post.
In the process of wiring the Infinity Stick grips, I feel the need for a quick disconnect. I know I've seen a picture of a nice one somewhere so I spent a considerable amount of time tracking it down. Someone was kind enough to post the Mouser part #'s for a circular connector, except they forgot to mention the last part you need to finish it off, ..... the flexible cable boot.
They're kind of like the AN coupling nut that has to go on before the sleeve.

So once again $35.00 Overnight for a $2.00 part.

To save anyone else this grief, here's the Mouser part #'s.

571-2061521 recept., 571-2058393 plug, 571-2072411 flexible cable boot(2 required), 571-2050891 pins, 571-2050901 sockets These are the parts from Mouser to make a disconnct for the Infinity Grip. The connectors are AMP series 2 circular plastic connector 17-28 std. free hanging, Shell size is 17, 28 pins.

Ouch $50 for a stupid connector. Its the pins that kill you. Man I never realized how fast those pins add up. I must have seen thousands of those things 5-S'ed (thrown-away) over the years.

Disconnect

I used a 25 pin Sub D (Computer Style) mounted on a bracket near the stick pivot point.

ambidextrous

I'd like to find a military-style fighter-plane type stick that is not right- or left-handed, but comfortable for both hands. any recommendations?