tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
I will be using the infinity stick grip on the pilots stick of my 8A. JD at infinity advised that I should put a doubler on the stick at the point where the hole is drilled for the blue wire cable exits the stick, to re-enforce that area.

Has anyone used a doubler to re-enforce the stick where the cable exits? If so, do you have pics of that?

Also, I would appreciate advise on the location of the wire cable exit hole on the pilots stick for an 8A. I am told that it should be placed as close as possible to the pivot point of the stick. Should the hole be in front of the stick, the rear, on the side???

Any advice or pics would be appreciated.

I'm interested in this question also for an RV-7. What are you planning for the buttons?

Mike R.

No pictures, but...

I put my hole on the aft side of the stick, and did not use a doubler. I doubt I could pull hard enough to break the thing (without pulling the wings off the airplane, or passing out from G-loads first).

Paul

stick

Paul,

Thanks for the input on how you did your stick. I will probably do the same.

Mike,

trigger = ptt
right top switch = starter
left top toggle switch = flaps
chinese hat = up and down is trim side to side is radio flip flop
thumb button on left side = auto pilot disconnect
other button = fuel pump

I cut the hole just above the pivot point of the front stick, on the front of the stick. No doubler. I know of two friends using Infinity grips with out a doubler with no problems over several years.
The location of the hole should not be that critical as long as you have plenty of slack to allow full movement of the control stick in every direction.
Hopefully, you ordered some extra wire. I ordered an extra 24" on both grips and it came in handy.
Good luck.

Installing at an angle?

Just curious, as to how many install these type of grips at an angle to the sticks centerline, so they conform to the angle of your hand.

I installed the new type of Ray Allen sticks, with an triangular flat face & hat switch for trim; after I accidently super-glued a few trim buttons on my old Ray Allens while adding a few momentary auto-pilot switches.

While sitting in the plane, an RV6A (left seat), it felt more natural to install the grip at an angle to the centerline. As in left handed use, and angle to the right.

I then started researching for pics of every military stick grip I could find, as well as factory produced & experimental GA. In the end, some angle them, and some don't.
But it's always something to think about.

L.Adamson

angle it!

I don't think I could fly with my Infinity if it wasn't angled! I think your wrist would really be cocked if the grip was straight. I can't tell you what the angle is however - I sat in the cockpit with the stick loosely in place, put my hand at a comfortable angle, and that is where I drilled it...custom fit! :)

Paul