flickroll

Well Known Member
What is a good clearance dimension to shoot for between the top of the hat switch and the bottom of the panel? I'm nearing completion of the wiring in my -8 and the stick is next. Thanks

1/2 inch is OK.

I agree. Before the first flight, I shortened my RV-8 front stick to allow my thumb to be on top of the stick and pass under the panel bottom. It turns out that the front stick in an RV-8 is shorter than one would like, especially when flaring to land. In 500 hours of flying my 8 it has never been necessary to push the stick under the panel with my thumb on top. After 400 hours of flying, I welded tubing back on to the top of my stick to lengthen it to about 1/2 to 3/8 inch below the panel base. This stick length is better than it used to be and seems to work fine.

Dan Miller
RV-8 545 hours

I got mine in at 1/2" clearance between the top of the stick and the panel. There is about 1/4" clearance between the stick and the horizontal z-brace when the stick is in the full forward position. Thanks guys for the help on this. Your responses saved me a lot of trial and error........