Don Patrick

Well Known Member
I'm currently fitting my Infinity grips to the front stick that I had bent and am having fitting issues.

I searched the threads and have read that there are those out there that had to modify their grip with a dremmel and such, so...

For those of you that may have had to go down that road as a result of the bent stick and poor fit of the grip, do you have any pictures of of how you modified your grip?

I've ordered another front stick with my finishing kit, but hope to have it as a spare.

Any pictures of the "dremmeling" would be much appreciated. I'm going to assume that most of the mod will be at the base of the grip?

Thanks

Don

Sid, thanks for your photos and log. That is exactly what I want to do on my 9a. I have had neck surgery twice and some positions with my are just painful. Moving the stick forward like you have allows me to support my arm and it is much more comfortable. I bent a piece of PVC just like yours to make sure. Thanks for the info.

Thanks

Thanks Sid,

I was hoping to find other bent RV-8 sticks. Is there a difference with the 7 and the 8 stick?

DP

7 stick versus 8

Don,
Good question. I realize that you are building an 8, but went ahead and posted my experience with a 7. Frankly, I'm not familiar with the 8's cockpit. Your cockpit layout and panel clearance issues will surely be different, but I think using the PVC/heat gun approach will still help you craft a custom-fit template.

I was considering getting my stick bent but then decided not to... In the end it was the right decision...

When I eventually installed the horizontal stabilizer and elevators, set the control stops and installed the completed seats and grips, I realized that if I had bent the sticks there is no way they would have worked. Even with the straight stick, it hits the seat base slightly with full up elevator... If I adjusted it further forward it would be uncomfortable at the neutral point...

My point is to make sure that you have everything installed and control stops set before you make the final decision to bend your sticks.

Ron's right

I second Aron's post. Having the elevators installed was important. With the stick positioned at an elevator-neutral position, only the could I gauge a comfortable cruise stick position.