shiney

Well Known Member
I've just received my infinity grips (very nice) and set them alongside my existing arrangement (Ray Allen) just to see how they looked. It now looks like I'm going to have to cut a good size of the stick down to get the top of the grip to clear the bottom of my panel (panel is approx 1.5 inch deeper than standard panel). but then the stick seems really small compared to how it was. Do I need so much forward stick that it needs clear the panel or can I leave the stick longer ?

Martin

Check the travel first

Check the forward movement of the stick when connected to the elevator. It probably won't allow the grip to hit the panel anyway. I have the grips and a lower bar below the panel. I did cut the sticks down so that the grips would clear but I think it might have been unnecessary. The benefit of the short stick is that I can rest my arm on the side panel armrest and fly almost with my wrist. I don't have any complaints about the short stick either.

Interference with the panel is not the only issue to consider.

Van's strongly encourages builders not to alter the length of the stick, since this affects stick forces and sensitivity. (Some people still do, and that's fine, I'm not going to get into that debate.) But to keep the effective stick length as Van's designed it, you would actually still need to shorten the stick tube to compensate for the mounting depth of your stick grip of choice.

I shortened my stick tubes such that with the Infinity grips installed, the sticks are effectively the same length as they were without the grips and before trimming.

Last edited: