prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm a VFR pilot with a VFR airplane and don't plan on changing that. However, I've been looking for new challenges and new things to learn. Learning some of the skills of IFR flying appeals to me. Too reiterate - I'm NOT looking to set my plane up for legal IFR flight, nor am I looking to get a rating. I'm just thinking it would be nice to have a basic setup to learn how to do some VOR navigation, ILS approaches, and just some of the neat stuff real IFR pilots do.
Garmin SL-30 radios are really expensive, and I just can't justify that expense right now for what I want to do. I'm wondering what would be an inexpensive way to get a basic NAV radio setup for learning (not for actual IMC flight). I'd also need something by way of CDI/glidescope display (I don't want to use my existing Dynon because I want to keep my EFIS+EMS displayed on there at all times). Used gear is an option.
Any suggestions?

I'm a VFR pilot with a VFR airplane and don't plan on changing that. However, I've been looking for new challenges and new things to learn. Learning some of the skills of IFR flying appeals to me. Too reiterate - I'm NOT looking to set my plane up for legal IFR flight, nor am I looking to get a rating. I'm just thinking it would be nice to have a basic setup to learn how to do some VOR navigation, ILS approaches, and just some of the neat stuff real IFR pilots do.
Garmin SL-30 radios are really expensive, and I just can't justify that expense right now for what I want to do. I'm wondering what would be an inexpensive way to get a basic NAV radio setup for learning (not for actual IMC flight). I'd also need something by way of CDI/glidescope display (I don't want to use my existing Dynon because I want to keep my EFIS+EMS displayed on there at all times). Used gear is an option.
Any suggestions?

Phil,

If having VOR capability will satisfy your needs, you might look for a used KX125. This is a nice COM radio that also has a NAV receiver and internal CDI. This will allow you to shot VOR and localizer (the lateral component of an ILS) approaches and practice VOR navigation. No external CDI is needed.

kx125_1.jpg

Last edited:
There's an App for that!

No really. Mount an iphone in your panel and install this application.

Fun to play with. Emulates both a standard VOR and an HSI. "Turning the knob" is a little strange because you just run your finger up and down on the screen, but works fine once your used to it. Also, because it's using GPS instead of a radio finder, you "tune" it by entering an airport designator or VOR station name instead of a radio frequency.

Narco Nav122

I'd recommend a NAV122. It is a stand-alone indicator with nav and glide slope receiver all built into one 3 1/8" instrument.

yhst-10237233231589_2243_9161115

I am sort of the same breed as the original poster, lots of ways to backup your navigation. I carry the Sportys handheld that has VOR AND glideslope, coupled with WingX on my IPad and phone.
Many hand held radios have VOR capability.

sporty's

Thanks guys! I didn't know there were handhelds with this functionality. The Sporty's SP-400 looks too good to be true, for only $400. How good would reception be from an RV cockpit? How would you guys recommend rigging up some kind of panel holder for it?

I have the antenna connector from ICOM, so that I can plug in my handheld to the aircraft antenna for better reception. I have not actually used it yet, but numerous pilots have reported the glideslope function works as well or better than the fancy high priced stuff.
I used the handheld VOR function for many years, it works flawlessly.

Me too. I have the original Sportys (vor, no localizer, no cdi) and it works fine with just the rubber duckie antenna, as long as you aren't too far from the vor. Don't count on the com transmitter without an external antenna, though.

If you want a cheap way to learn how to use radio navigation, don't overlook the inexpensive flight simulator software. It won't teach you to fly on instruments but it is useful for learning navigation skills.

Two questions:

1) Do Nav and com share an antenna? Can I use my aircraft COM antenna with the sporty's unit to get increased VOR and COM range?

2) What hardware do I need to patch the handheld to my aircraft antenna? Just an adapter and a splitter?

Nav 122 In THe Classifieds

Phil:
The 122 or something similar will allow you to practice ILS and VOR approaches and will actually make your aircraft IFR capable if you meet the other equipment requirements.
My 9a is equipped with a Val429 and supported by a Garmin 396 and has served me well as an instrument platform. At the same time, I'm looking at adding a G430 to allow precision and non-precision GPS approaches.
You can add archer antennas in one wingtip for very little cost.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Two questions:

1) Do Nav and com share an antenna? Can I use my aircraft COM antenna with the sporty's unit to get increased VOR and COM range?

2) What hardware do I need to patch the handheld to my aircraft antenna? Just an adapter and a splitter?

Two questions:

1. For the SP400, yes, it will use the same external antenna. This is not the case for panel mounted avionics.

2. Never connect two transceivers to the same antenna without taking precautions against having a transmitter directly connected to the other receiver otherwise you will smoke the receiver.

Someone sells a little automatic switch box that will do this switching for you but it is not cheap and is not fail proof.

Most people recommend you either install a separate antenna or you make it so you can disconnect the primary radio and connect the antenna directly to the handheld. A strategically placed bulkhead connector can make this easy to do.

Any suggestions?

The least expensive way to learn how to use a VOR, HSI, ADF, RMI, DG, etc is to use a simulator.

Here is a good one that is free and works great:

http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

The least expensive way to learn how to use a VOR, HSI, ADF, RMI, DG, etc is to use a simulator.
Agreed. I have MS FS and X-Plane. But I want an airborne setup - I'm looking for things to do in the air, to keep flying interesting and challenging. I'm also thinking having a basic NAV setup would be a nice redundancy (even though I'm strictly VFR) in case my GPS ever craps out.

with just the rubber duckie antenna, as long as you aren't too far from the vor
I guess I'm wondering how the VOR reception range would compare with a proper panel NAV radio/antenna setup? If the handheld won't receive the VOR until I'm practically on top of it, it might not be very useful for meaningful VOR work?

2. Never connect two transceivers to the same antenna without taking precautions
Ok good to know. If needed, I'd plan on buying and installing a dedicated antenna then. Q: what would I need to connect a regular antenna to the Sporty's? They don't seem to advertise any kind of adapter in their accessories. Or will a regular BNC cable work?

Also, if the Sporty's handheld is really this good, how can it be thousands of dollars less than a comparable panel-setup? I generally believe there's no free lunches in life, so surely there's a major limitation to the handheld solution?