NowWhat

I'm New Here
I've yearned for years for HID (high intensity discharge) landing lights on my RV. While I really don't fly at night, I wanted HID for daylight recognition lights--I want to leave them on all the time as a simple safety factor. Plus, I wanted wig-wag flashing capability, which human eyes perceptually seem to really notice.

There have been other lengthy discussions regarding HID and LED so I won't get into that, suffice to say that HID is still far and away the most powerful lighting option for our little planes. Comparing them to halogens, a 55watt HID bulb puts out about 4400 lumens while a 55watt halogen puts out about 900 lumens. Also, the HID bulb will last about 2000-3000 hours versus maybe 50 hours on a halogen bulb. For LED, while this technology has made vast strides over the years in lumen output, they still do not come close to what HID's can do. But who knows, maybe in a few years?...

A few years ago, when I checked into this, the cost for (2) 35watt HID landing lights and flasher for my leading edge reflectors came to over $1300, ouch.

So when I researched it again a month ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find how much prices have dropped. I took a chance on some H3 form factor automotive HID's and the CreativAir electronic flasher. The set-up has worked extremely well.

I chose H3 bulbs because these fit right into my existing Duckworks reflector, with no modifications. All I had to do was mount the ballasts on a wing rib and give them 12v power. The ballasts produce the 25,000 volts needed for the HID bulbs. I chose the 5000K bulbs, extremely white and blindingly bright light. Cost for 2 bulbs and ballasts: $160. I purchased them from an ebay vendor, very responsive to queries, and he claims a lifetime warranty on everything. I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of his product. Click here for those lights.

I bought the flasher from CreativAir.com for $60. There was some question as to whether or not it would work for HID, however, with about 3 hours on mine, it appears to work just fine. Click here for that flasher.

So there you have it, recognition lights that can be seen for miles, maybe 4 amps draw while flashing, all for $220. That's good technology.

The flasher will work, but the bulbs will fail quickly. HID bulbs need to complete the thermal heating cycle (about a minute) to get the metal elements in the glass envelope to vaporize properly.

Best bet is to build a timed mechanical shutter to interupt the light output thus giving the wig-wag effect.

Bob

If the bulbs only work for half their expected life of 3500 hours, that's 1750 hours, still a lot.

I initially looked at the XeVision HID flasher, about $180. They claim it has no life shortening effects on their bulbs.

are there any junkyard dogs out there that have investigated pulling HID units out of cars? what else would you need to make them work?

HID retrofit kits are available for many modern motorcycles that tend to use the H1, H3 and H7 style halogen bulbs. I havent researched it, but It ought to be easy enough to adapt one of these to a Duckworks, or home grown kit.

Bob Brown - Pulled mine from an Audi

Hi Bob,

I found some Audi A4 ballasts and D1S HID bulbs on ebay after looking at the setup in my neighbors car. I used the DW 100W kit as the start and then added the ballast and made an adapter for the bulb. Photos can be seen here.

Pete's HID Upgrade

I was able to get 2 ballasts, 2 bulbs and the 2 sets of wiring for ~$250. I did need to do some fabrication on the bulb mount, but you are building an airplane, right?

Amp draw is much less than the 100W halogen once the unit has started. I get a slight whine on startup, but no noise after that.

This thing really lights up the night.

Pete,

Your post has me looking at alternatives. But I do have a couple questions.

Where did you get the reflector that you used. Did you use any of the projecters that I've seen on HID bulbs, or just the reflector.

You also mentioned a whine on startup. Is this just from the light, or is it accross the electrical system (i.e radios).

thanks,

bob

Duckworks Kit

Hi Bob,

I used the reflector (modified) from the Duckworks 100W kit and did not use a projector.

I get a whine on the radios for about 3-5 sec at HID startup and then no noise at all.

Duckworks has Lower Cost HIDs Now

If you already have Duckworks lights you can get a set of (2) replacement HID lamps with ballast for $250 for 35 watt and $310 for 55 watt. Check out his website. I've just installed them. The lamps plug right into the same lens and the ballast can easily mount on the back of the lens mouting bracket with three screws.

The XeVision flasher hea sells will warm up the bulbs for 30 seconds when powered up prior to flashing. I have that flasher, but if you don't want to spend that much for a flasher just warm up the bulbs manaully first before switching to flashing.

LoPresti HID lights

At Sun N Fun I talked to the LoPresti people at their booth. Their HID light system is usually $400, but it is 30% off until the end of the month, ie $280 per side. I had this system in my Mooney and it works well. 5000 hour guarantee.
It was also rated highly by Aviation Consumer magazine, and they advertise that Cirrus is going to use their system. You won't find a kit listed for the RV's on the link below, you have to call them. I have the standard $10 bulb system in my wingtips, and these bulbs are apparently the same diameter, but are somewhat deeper.
http://www.speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm