RickWoodall

Well Known Member
A buddy of mine (not a big forum user) has an older used io320 in his newly flying rv. Had a few issues when first run and had a AME look it over/adjust. Ran fine after that work now 70 hrs approx. Now he just had a really rough run on climb out and returned to land immediatley. Plugs and wires and fuel lines/supply all seem fine, no issues found.

I noticed this on one of the induction lines doing a look over.

He says the initial problem he had on first run months ago was traced back to an induction problem and the AME billed him for tons of silicone. Could this be an issue, and what might be the better fix. All that rtv looks like **** and it looks in the pic like there is still a leak no?

98yamh.jpg

tahfo1.jpg

Any of the engine guys out there have some good ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
RTV

Check the inlet probes on the fuel injection servo body for strings or chunks of RTV.

Smoking is allowed within 50 ft. Of my plane, but if you bring RTV within 50 ft., you will be thrown out of the hangar!:D

I've picked too much of that stuff out of engine oil sumps and pickup screens to allow it anywhere near where it might be ingested into the engine or get in the sump.

Last edited:
An AME did that?

Wow! Surprising.

I know of a Cessna C-180 that had an in-flight engine stop and off-field landing because of a bit of orange RTV in the carburetor.

If that induction tube is cracked, it would be better to replace the sump than do such a half-***ed repair. If it is not cracked, install the PROPER seal.

Have the FI servo body serviced (not by the same AME)

There's not supposed to be *any* RTV in the induction tubes. Only dry metal tubes and clean, pliable rubber hose segments with good clamps. If the rubber hose segments are dried out, cracked or damaged, put new ones on.

All that RTV inside there is blatant incompetence that could have killed someone with an engine stoppage.

From the photos, what we are seeing can be no more that one tube of RTV for 4 intake tubes. So that beggs the question.... Where are the other 17?:confused:

That sump has to come off for inspection at a minimum.

Interesting

I agree it looks like a huge mess, all intakes are gooped up like that, and with the stain it looks like there is still an issue at the one pipe to my untrained eye.
I will try and grab a little more info about the original repairs (rtv mess) and why the ame didnt replace, refit pipe and boot clamps instead of doing this repair.
Thanks.

With all that RTV gooped around the intakes, it sure leaves a big unknown mystery as to where else the RTV might have possibly gotten to inside the engine, and that's an unacceptable danger.

It the tube is loose in the pan there is a tool that can go in there with a die that will reset the flange tightly in the pan. My engine rebuilder had such a tool and I used it once with success. However the tube and the pan both have to be in good condition before this would be done. That is just a mess.

I've seen a gooped tube here and there on spam cans. Usually pro-seal and usually on bottom feeder planes. Probably should have just sprayed it with stucco.

Probably should have just sprayed it with stucco.

OMG that was funny, best response of the day. Thanks for the laugh. :p

It is hard to believe a high end well respected AME shop would do that kind of work, but ...there it is.
Will see what happens now.

OMG that was funny, best response of the day. Thanks for the laugh. :p

It is hard to believe a high end well respected AME shop would do that kind of work, but ...there it is.
Will see what happens now.

Don't you guys have standards up there in Canada? :D