lr172

Well Known Member
I made an error when drilling the holes in the center support brace on the fwd upper skin on my 6. The holes ended up in the bend radius near the end. This doesn't seem like a highly structural part, but I don't think that I can set the rivets in the holes on the radius without distorting the skin. I would like to re-drill the holes in a new brace part. However, the skins are already dimpled, making the holes bigger than the #40 drill size.

I suspect I am not the first person to find myself in this type of situation. Any advise on a technique to drill the new holes. If I just stick a drill in there, they won't be properly centered and the dimples won't align. I could use a marker to mark the holes and then carefully hand drill, but I suspect there may be a better way. I could also use a #30 bit to re-drill and use "oops" rivets. I will have to counter-sink the brace anyways, as there doesn't seem to be a way to dimple this piece (it is a U shaped brace). I guess as I think about it, this makes the most sense.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Larry