1:1 Scale

Well Known Member
I just recieved my empennage kit this week and thought I'd get some in put on what I could do while I'm building it to help reduce flutter and increase VNE. I know the Rockets fly faster than Van's published VNE numbers and Dave Anders is well above Van's numbers for the -4.

So what keeps these guys from shaking their tails off? Is it careful balancing of the control surfaces? Building the surfaces stiffer (bonding in addition to riveting)?

Thanks for any input:)

Step away from the rivet gun...

Meaning no disrespect whatsoever, this is a bit like asking "Can anybody tell me how to design an airplane."

Don't do it, don't even think of doing it, without reading a lot of books, taking a lot of engineering courses, and becoming familiar with how Vne is determined. I've done all of that, and I still won't do it to someone else's design.

Live long and prosper and don't dig craters with your airplane,
Martin

B.Sc. Aeronautical Engineering
M.Eng. Electrical Engineering
M.S. Applied Physics

The Rockets use a larger empennage, thicker skins, more stiffners, and riveted trailing edges. (Those are just the changes that are apparent to my untrained eye).

I'm no aeronautical engineer, so tread carefully. You only get a chance to experience high speed flutter once (unless you are wearing a parachute).

Cheap and easy way

I've decided to install an airspeed indicator calibrated in km/h. With this setup I'm hoping for a Vne of around 370.

mcb :)

Vne and flutter to be respected

I just received my empennage kit this week and thought I'd get some in put on what I could do while I'm building it to help reduce flutter and increase VNE. I know the Rockets fly faster than Van's published VNE numbers and Dave Anders is well above Van's numbers for the -4.

So what keeps these guys from shaking their tails off? Is it careful balancing of the control surfaces? Building the surfaces stiffer (bonding in addition to riveting)?

Well our fellow VAF members kind of gave you an answer, :rolleyes:, sarcastic, but no offense intended. They are right.

It's a good question Kelly. It comes up time to time. My question back to you is WHY?

I see your logic, Dave Anders RV-4 does it, F-1 Rocket's do it (with basically similar empannage), why not me. My Mom told me if all the kids are doing it, does that mean I should. :D

Seriously, in engineering there are "margins of safety". Clearly Dave, who I've had the pleasure of talking to, is a smart & careful guy, respects Vne. Mark at Team Rocket is smart as well.

First Dave is doing 250 mph (his approx top-speed, level flight) in only smooth air. The Rocket's I can't speak to, but think they limit their Vne around 250 mph and Mark no doubt has done some test. There is one Rocket that I know of, which may have had a fatal in-flight break-up, under suspicious conditions. The conditions that day where turbulent. Not sure if it was a HRII or F1? Bottom line, flying slower or to a lower Vne, gives more margin to flutter and structural failure. That is a fact. But what is safe?

If you want to expand your Vne there are flight test methods, test plot school stuff and regulation criteria (for certified planes) as a guide to verify Vne. As you can imagine it involves diving to Vne + the factor of safety over target (giving a margin of safety). If the plane does not disintegrate, you win. The speed you demonstrated, minus the margin, is Vne. Rinse & repeat for all CG's, weights and many altitudes!

If you want to be a test pilot, you follow progressive dive test. Obviously a helmet, chute, change of clean underware and bowl of wheaties in the morning would be in order.

Van does do a nominal and responsible amount of Vne testing to verify Vne for RV's, which gives a reasonable, practical and conservative limits. Van's Aircraft could put a higher Vne on their planes. However pilots mess up, and the current limit is reasonable for the expected design cruise speed. Of course Vne is not only flutter, it can be an ultimate structural load.

Van apparently did a good job because there have been few flutter incidents but NOT ZERO. Of all the ones I've heard of, most pilots lived to talk about it, and in most cases (but not all) the plane did not suffer permanent damage. There are no guarantees with flutter and happy endings.

Most RV'ers get in trouble at altitude. I'm not going to pretend to explain aero-elasticity, but as you climb your Vne (indicated) goes down. Most GA single engine planes don't really mention it, and give a one size fits all indicated Vne for all altitudes. The lower performance Pipers/Cessna's pretty much keeps you out of trouble. However RV's fly high and fast, and if you get too enthusiastic in descend at Vne indicated, your true airspeed can be spectacular. Many have felt the buzz of the elevator in descent. It scared them and it should.

Not even Van knew this or worried about the high altitude affect. It was not until the last 4 or 5 years has Van wrote articles about this. Most RV'ers flying in or near the teens start descents gently, for comfort (ROD) and keeping the engine warm. Thus the airspeed does not build. However as RV folks have put in IO-390's, lower drag cowls and other low drag mods, Vne is easier to exceed or push, even at higher altitudes in level flight. This is Van's main reason for caution against turbo charged engines, high TAS at altitude.

With that said, I think RV's first sign most of flutter shows up in the elevator. Usually its dampened enough to notice with out damage, allowing time to slow down. However flutter can happen instantaneously, spontaneously, with devastating affect in a heart beat. Your elevator may have a mild buzz, but who knows if the aileron is about to rip the stick out of your hand & rip wing off. :eek: Don't accuse me of being dramatic, that is what happens when flutter goes "divergent" with out notice. The great Steve Whittman and his wife where lost to flutter in cruise flight.

I know enough to know flutter is a bit of a mystery. You can do computer models (FEM, CFD) and all kinds of wind tunnel, but until a test pilot dives the thing its an unknown. WE KNOW THE KNOWN Vne NOW. We know following Van's numbers, we are safe, but we now know the margin decays as we climb. If you want to fly at 250 mph, you may get a way with it down low on a smooth day. You don't want to even push Van's recommended Vne on a day that's not smooth. Vno, normal operation and the lower Va, maneuver speeds are there for a reason. You can break a plane from a structural overload due to gust in level flight if going too fast. Gust's on a bad day have even destroyed large airliner or military aircraft.

Last story. When I got my multi-rating, the examiner was a flight test pilot once in his career. He broke a plane in half, literally, half the fuselage behind the wing departed the front half & wing. He unbuckled and exited the big hole that was behind him, which was once the aft cabin of this once one piece twin engine plane. What happened? During Vne test, after diving to target plus, he started a shallow climb (always done so your are slowing for safety during the test). He than "rapped" the yoke and let go. Normally the plane porpoised once or twice, than stabilize with out touching the yoke. This time he rapped the yoke and it went FULL BACK to the STOP and slammed back full forward in a fraction of a second! Plane broke in half. He and his chute than bailed out. The aircraft had gone through some small mods that needed re-certification and the CG was max aft. Those small mods made a huge difference on Vne. That is why flight test are done. I flew this same plane flying freight. There was a in flight break up of a simular plane. A freight pilot flying the last leg back to base, started a high speed controlled decent. It broke up in flight LINK. The FAA determined high speed (may be near over Vne?) caused (flutter?) structural failure. This is a certified plane that has been tested. The CG and weight where out of limits.

Every RV builder is suppose to verify Vne during Phase I before taking passengers. If testing a RV, stick loose, not held, is different than one that is held. Holding the stick on a RV, with a very tight rod/bearing control system like the RV has, affects flutter with no doubt. I am not recommending you rap your stick like a Pro test pilot, only you be aware that letting the stick go can cause a flutter to start or get worse.

It's a very complicated topic. I go back to my question to you. WHY? If you want a jet go buy a jet. :D Keep in mind I'm conservative & believe in limits and flying away from the extreme edge of the envelope. It's our safety net, or margin. However if I do intentionally fly near the edge, I like to know what I'm doing. In the case of a RV, wearing a chute is a good idea when playing test pilot or Bob Hoover.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, although according to Martin, it seems there should be no experimentation in experimental aviation:confused: I know the realities of aviation- I was reminded of them yet again a little over a week ago when a Caravan owned by my aunt and uncle "dug a crater" right about the same time I was filling out the order form for my empennage.

The reason I'm inquiring is mainly to see if there is anything simple that I can do to increase the speed envelope (thereby increasing safety) while I'm building the tail. I'm not talking about fabbing thicker skins or reshaping the airfoil, or any other engineering project. But if bonding the trailing edge wedge and stiffeners in addition to riveting them (or something similar) could add a couple of knots to the Vne, I see no reason not to do it. I'm not planning to build a 300 knot RV or strap JATO bottles under the wings;)

So does anyone have any input for building the tail "better"?

build it better...

I figure that building as close to the plans as I can will make it "better".
Don't forget, you're starting with the best kit available...

why discourage curiosity...?

Kelly,

I often wonder why people who build experimental aircraft get on their soapbox when someone asks a question like this. To me, the of building an experimental aircraft is a journey for the curious and inquisitive. So why take the wind out of these sails with such authoritarian stance?

Van, Bob Hoover and all the others are mere mortals like the rest of us. It is possible for us less celebrated folk to understand aerodynamics better and to learn the whys and wherefores. No need for 'people-in-the-know' to shut the book of learning in quite such a determined fashion.

FWIW, (and I'm no aerodynamics expert) I understand that flutter originates by vortex shedding. Every shape will shed vorticies at some frequency relationship with true airspeed. We can use principle this as an airflow measurement device in engine management systems and other process control applications, by measuring the frequency of the sound this generates - go visit a marina on a windy day and listen to the wind amongst all the masts.

Well, when this vortex shedding reaches the natural frequency of part of the system, it will begin to vibrate. I guess this is where the complexity comes in, because there can also be some positive feedback mechanisms in terms of aerodynamic lift-v-angle of attack if the vibration in the wing generates a torsional mode, which it almost certainly has.

Like all dynamic systems, stiffness, mass, moments of inertia, backlash in linkages and inherent or external damping all play their part. I would say the whole concept could be sensitive enough that even two examples of the same type could experience flutter onset and widely varying TAS.

Anyway, that's my understanding badly explained for you! Keep searching and asking questions, though. It can bring on interesting discussion and learning which we can all benefit from.

A

Kelly,

Your question assumes that Vne is set by a property of the empennage. I would be surprised if that were the case, so the short answer is that there is probably little you can do to the emp to gain a small increase in Vne.

As you know Vne is set as 0.9*Vd, to give some margin (for many things including contruction error & wear in service). Vd is set at initial design time as a function of several factors using a formula given in FAR 23. The aerodynamics and structure are then designed to meet the chosen speeds, and testing performed to ensure the design predictions are met, or - more accurately - that no flutter is evident at the tested flight conditions.

The maximum speed that can be flown free from flutter is a function of the natural frequency of the airframe. If you had more time & money than sense you could probably predict that speed through out the flight envelope, and then run tests to validate your predictions, then modify the design to increase the speed and rebuild yor emp - if indeed the emp was the limiting factor, it may be the wing.

We do know that the basic design is flutter free throughout the declared envelope. A few people in the World (who have experience of flutter analysis) may be able to tell you off hand what modifications would be required to increase that speed, but I'm not one of them. My advice would be to build to print. I'm not against experimenting, but the stakes are high in this area and you need a lot of expertise to be reasonably sure of being successful.

Pete
(BSc in Aero Eng & 25 years in the aerospace industry)

W, over?

I get on my soapbox because I don't want someone to get killed due to my inaction. I didn't say "Don't." I said "Don't until you've educated yourself."

That's what experimental aviation is all about. Educate yourself. Then experiment. Be the experimenter, not the lab rat.

You're curious and inquisitive? That's great! It's a prerequisite to learning. You want to improve or modify an existing airplane design? You want to be a test pilot? More power to you! Building a homebuilt is a great opportunity to learn about aeronautical engineering and test piloting. But the emphasis is on "learn."

"Why discourage curiosity?" Quite the reverse. I encourage you, indeed beg you, to be curious. I just implore you to use your curiosity to get you informed, not killed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly,

Your question assumes that Vne is set by a property of the empennage. I would be surprised if that were the case, so the short answer is that there is probably little you can do to the emp to gain a small increase in Vne.
I didn't mean to imply that it was a property of the empennage, it's just that that's the part I'm starting to work on, so it seems like the logical place to start "improving". Next will be the wings (with their hard points for the JATO bottles;) )

"Why discourage curiosity?" Quite the reverse. I encourage you, indeed beg you, to be curious. I just implore you to use your curiosity to get you informed, not killed.
I thought that was what I was doing:confused: Posting questions like this on a forum can be a HUGE time saver, but I've been around them long enough to know not to take ANYONE's word as gospel, but their input can give you some direction to start. Unfortunately, responses like "read" and "learn" don't really help. I've found the posts from Randy, George, Andy and Pete to be quite useful because they contain information to use in research:)

BTW, Martin, I like your site and your extra storage in the floor of the baggage area:)

The Rocket's I can't speak to, but think they limit their Vne around 250 mph and Mark no doubt has done some test. There is one Rocket that I know of, which may have had an in-flight break, under suspicious conditions. The conditions that day where turbulent. Not sure if it was a HRII or F1?

The Vne for the F1 is 240 kts. However, the Vno speed is only 160 kts.

I'm not sure which Rocket accident George is referring to. The one in California that was first suspected to be an in-flight breakup was a HR2 Rocket. I don't know the final outcome of that investigation. The pilot was highly regarded and his airplane very well built.

We've had one F1 crash where the vertical stabilizer was twisted off during aerobatics. The reason was found to be a missing bracket that the builder failed to install per the plans, its purpose was to secure the vertical stab to the fuselage to prevent twisting. One piece of .063 angle approximately 4" long. Let's you know the kind of margin you're playing with.

I just recieved my empennage kit this week and thought I'd get some in put on what I could do while I'm building it to help reduce flutter and increase VNE. I know the Rockets fly faster than Van's published VNE numbers and Dave Anders is well above Van's numbers for the -4.

FWIW, I see two different questions here. Vne and flutter.

Vne is a basic design number of the aircraft structure. It is 90% of Vd, the Design Speed. According to Part 23, it is an EAS, or Equivalent Airspeed.
A structural analysis could determine where the weakest structure is located, and these could be modified. I looked at this on my RV-3 wing spar. Granted, it was a very simplistic model. I could have optimized the spar structure and add a 1/2 G to the spar strength by increasing, or decreasing, the length of the spar segments. I also found that the optimum spar segment lengths changed with a change in wing tank fuel load.
Basically, what Van's Aircraft had was very close to optimal. If I built the structure to the plans, this would be designer's liability. If I changed the structure, this would be builder's liability.

"Aircraft flutter refers to a range of phenomena associated with the unsteady, dynamic interaction between air as an acoustic medium, the flexible modes of either the aircraft's structure or its flight controls, and the inertial properties of the structure and its suspended loads."
Quoted from a source unknown to me that is used by the National Test Pilot School in Mojave, CA.

IMHO, for the RV-7, RV-8, RV-9 and RV-10, Van's Aircraft Company has done everything practical to move the flutter speed as high as possible.

IMHO, there is no practical way to identify "a number" for the flutter speed for a specific RV model. There are too many builder variables in the airframe construction and the installation of the flight controls and flight control systems.

The reference material I have from the National Test Pilot School starts with what is called an Ancient Proverb:
"High-Alpha/Spin testing will win you the Kinchloe Award.
Flutter testing will get you killed."

Van's Aircraft used to require flight testing the RV-3 past Vne (IAS) to the design speed (IAS) in calm air. This was called flutter testing, but was below the lowest expected airspeed for flutter to occur.

Bottom line, build your RV to the plans and keep the flight control surface attachments and control system attachments tight.

Regards,
Jim Ayers

If I built the structure to the plans, this would be designer's liability. If I changed the structure, this would be builder's liability.

There is no "designer's liability". Remember that contract you signed when you took possession of your kit? I believe it said something to the effect of "if you kill yourself in this plane you're SOL".

If you plan to increase VNE, consider the risks of the flight testing. If you run into a flutter problem, you stand a very high risk of losing the aircraft, and your life.

Some people would say "I'll avoid the risk of flutter by not doing the flutter flight test". But all that does is push the risk onto you and your passengers during the operational flight that you happen to inadvertently exceed VNE. It is far better to do that test on a flight of your choosing when you are ready for the event, at a high altitude, wearing a parachute and helmet, and mentally prepared to attempt to abandon the aircraft.

I'm gonna jump in to defend the idea, in principal, of increasing Vne. All the original poster asked was how to increase it, he never said he was going to make use of it. This strikes me as similar to asking how to make the plane stronger. Wouldn't we all feel better if our planes were designed to take 12 g's? I'm VFR and will likely stay that way, but am I still allowed to install a horizon instrument? Now, if he's planning on actually trying it out that's a different story.

Soap Box?

Kelly,

I often wonder why people who build experimental aircraft get on their soapbox when someone asks a question like this. To me, the of building an experimental aircraft is a journey for the curious and inquisitive. So why take the wind out of these sails with such authoritarian stance?

Van, Bob Hoover and all the others are mere mortals like the rest of us. It is possible for us less celebrated folk to understand aerodynamics better and to learn the whys and wherefores. No need for 'people-in-the-know' to shut the book of learning in quite such a determined fashion.

FWIW, (and I'm no aerodynamics expert) I understand that flutter originates by vortex shedding. Every shape will shed vortices at some frequency relationship with true airspeed. We can use principle this as an airflow measurement device in engine management systems and other process control applications, by measuring the frequency of the sound this generates - go visit a marina on a windy day and listen to the wind amongst all the masts.

Well, when this vortex shedding reaches the natural frequency of part of the system, it will begin to vibrate. I guess this is where the complexity comes in, because there can also be some positive feedback mechanisms in terms of aerodynamic lift-v-angle of attack if the vibration in the wing generates a torsional mode, which it almost certainly has.

Like all dynamic systems, stiffness, mass, moments of inertia, backlash in linkages and inherent or external damping all play their part. I would say the whole concept could be sensitive enough that even two examples of the same type could experience flutter onset and widely varying TAS.

Anyway, that's my understanding badly explained for you! Keep searching and asking questions, though. It can bring on interesting discussion and learning which we can all benefit from.

A
No offense but what is your point? :rolleyes:

First I'm offended you Bee-slapped me indirectly as being on a "soapbox". The question was how to expand Vne envelope. The answer? Flight test.

I tried to answer the question, how to expand the Vne envelope, with out being preachy, sanctimonious or condescending. Its hypocritical of you, in my opinion, to criticize any one for being on a soapbox, which has a negative connotation. There is no soapbox. We are here to discuss RV related topics. if you don't agree fine, but personal comments are not really necessary. Again what is you point? No one is against experiments but flutter experimentation is dangerous. That is a fact.

Telling some one be careful is not the same as trying to stifle curiosity or learning. You tried to explain flutter by throwing out a bunch of terms around, which you may or may not understand. How does that help explain expanding Vne envelope or making the empannage less susceptible to flutter or structural overload? I'm not criticizing you for trying to explain what you think flutter is, but criticizing or implying others as squashing the urning for learning is moot. :D

Clearly you or anyone can Google "flutter", "flutter prevention" or "aeroelasticity", so I'm not going to try to explain in detail. There are books and books written on the subject of design and flutter protection. As some one said, its like asking how do you design a plane.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question of HOW TO MAKE THE TAIL BETTER is a fair question. One thing, make the vertical and horizontal stabs even stiffer (not stronger), say with thicker skins. The stiffer in basic terms the better but this adds weight of course.

Control surfaces are helped with hydraulic controls and counter bob weights, but control "feel" is affected. Forget the wounderful RV feel. Some jets use active electronic dampers w/ accelerometers. Some jets have a stick pullers, which will not let the pilot fly past Vne/Vmo. It pulls up automatically. Others have stick shakers that vibrate the yoke like a jack-hammer.

In my opinion the standard bent radius trailing edge could be improved. The RV-9 square trailing edge may be better for higher Vne? Again control feel is affected.

It's a fair question, how to make it better. We can ask Dave Anders (fastest RV), Mr. Harmon (HRII) or Mark Fredricks (Team Rocket) what they did. I suspect there where no changes or minor ones, so they just flying with less margin. I think Mark at Team Rocket up-ed some gauges hear and there. The wings where clipped and the aileron is shorter I recall.

Last edited:
I get on my soapbox because I don't want someone to get killed due to my inaction. I didn't say "Don't." I said "Don't until you've educated yourself."

That's what experimental aviation is all about. Educate yourself. Then experiment. Be the experimenter, not the lab rat.

You're curious and inquisitive? That's great! It's a prerequisite to learning. You want to improve or modify an existing airplane design? You want to be a test pilot? More power to you! Building a homebuilt is a great opportunity to learn about aeronautical engineering and test piloting. But the emphasis is on "learn."

I totally agree with Martin.
But something that makes me nervous about saying that, is that a lot of RV builders use internet news groups such as this as their primary education source. So when a person asks a question such as has been asked in this thread, only he knows to what extent he will further "research" after everyone gives their expert opinions and input. Many builders make what I consider foolish modifications simply from the input from other builders on on-line news groups. Often times the modification(s) builders copy from other builders have not even been flight tested on an RV yet.
I have seen threads with so many conflicting opinions and ideas...How does a new builder know what is right and what is wrong (retorical question). Go with the posters that have the highest post count? I should hope not;).

Which is the reason that I think a post like Martins is a good idea.

Sorry guys!

OK, I apologise for casting nasturtians in anyone's general direction.

My first reading of this thread was one distinct impression of being told to move on, nothing to see here folks! On reflection, maybe I misread the tone of the earlier messages.

Let me state categorically that I surely wouldn't want anyone to make any misguided attempts to exceed the declared Vne!

That Kelly obviously knows these limits exist, that build quality and structural considerations influence it and is prepared to ask questions about it lends me some faith that he would be perhaps careful enough. As Steve Z pointed out, the fact that he has potentially increased the Vne envelope doesn't automatically mean he is going to use it in anger. He wasn't asking how to test it, but how to build with it in mind. Which brings me to another point, Kelly is begining to hammer rivets in the empennage of his RV which we all know are the first steps of a long journey. Surely it is better to be building with knowledge of this subject than throwing it together in complete ignorance?

Perhaps one of the best things that comes from these discussions is a better understanding of how complex the design process is and how many variables one has to juggle and how many compromises one has to reach. It makes me deeply respect the design genius of Van even with a cursory examination of his work. Not many in the world even recognise this.

George, maybe my 'throwing a bunch of terms around' didn't help the discussion any but I certainly wasn't expecting it to be the last word on the subject! I hoped rather that it would be an interesting discussion with lots of engineering detail. I have learned a lot from similar discussions here.

Anyway, does anyone know what the first limiting factor on an RV airframe might be?

(runs away to read the thread from a safe distance!) :D

A

Ground flutter testing

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I seem to recall that Van had at least one of his models tested for flutter on the ground. It it involves shaking the airframe with mechanical actuators at various intensities and frequencies while looking for resonance in the airframe. It must be pretty specialized work. I believe it supplements but does not supplant flight testing. Anyone know more, or care to comment?

For the benefit of newcomers reading this the best advice I can offer is: Build according to the plans don't add any additional structure.

The History of learning about flutter and Vne

I haven't seen this mentioned yet but I seem to recall that Van had at least one of his models tested for flutter on the ground. It it involves shaking the airframe with mechanical actuators at various intensities and frequencies while looking for resonance in the airframe. It must be pretty specialized work. I believe it supplements but does not supplant flight testing. Anyone know more, or care to comment?

For the benefit of newcomers reading this the best advice I can offer is: Build according to the plans don't add any additional structure.
In Van's case he uses good KNOWN basic design practices for high speed planes and conservatively does dive test, with out all the computer or ground shaker test as far as I know. Van does have an engineering degree. Like most engineers they work from the known. A lot of research papers have been written on aircraft design based on the collective knowledge of flutter and ultimate loads. Van did not invent the NACA 230xx airfoil or the Frise aileron, but he did put it all together in a great package.

Using pencil and paper and hand calculations, Vne design is well understood. Good design practices like counter-balance controls, stiff hinge lines and control linkage, have been know since WWII fighters, where most subsonic flutter knowledge came from. Everyone else has copied since. As aviation progressed into the transonic and supersonic range, a whole bunch of new pain was discovered, as engineers and test pilots learned the hard way what Vne / Vmo was.

Well into the 50's, 60's and even 70's engineers discovered new ways airframe flexibility and aerodynamic loads interacted, sometimes in a bad ways, previously unknown. Here are recent famous examples of Doha!

The Lockheed Electra, "Whirl Flutter" was discovered only after the loss of a plane. They just did not understand the relationship of vibration, aircraft flexibility and air loads.

Beech Bonanza V-tail, torsional "elasticity" not understood causing tail overload failures. Even today there's controversy. Although may be not a true flutter mode, it's a close cousin of it. Beech still denies there's a problem. No doubt many accidents where due to pilots exceeding Vne, easily done in a clean plane.

Early Lear Jets lost - Turned out water could collect inside the elevator and caused destructive flutter. Mr. Lear himself dove tested planes to find the problem, He found the problem but almost crashed trying. (true story)​

Ground Test are Just a Tool to Check the Computer model and Math
Ground test are usually used in conjunction with mathematical computer models. The computer provides the real analytical answer. The ground test are an adjunct to verify the computer model's accuracy. Those leads to a flight-test. With these advanced methods, the flight test pilots have a better chance to survive. Many a test pilot back in the day died testing. They know more before the first flight. They monitor the plane with those advance probes to make sure it reacts as the computer model predicted. If there is something not correlating, they stop testing and justify it. The real thing is always better than a computer but the computer can test endless load cases and do it in detail, which is impossible with just flight test.

There are "shakers", advanced test equipment, accelerometers and strain gauges to do ground test. In the past this stuff was not done or only multi-million dollar companies could afford it. It's not cheap, but its no longer exotic. It's not like we'll go buy $100k worth of this stuff. I can tell you Van's wings are short & stubby and thick, and stiff. That SOLID RV FEEL is from the wing. The Ailerons are well balanced, as are the elevators.

The higher expected speed with the RV-8 & RV-7 prompted Van to go with counter weighted rudder. Why? My guess is it was not a whimsical choice. I assume classic pencil & paper analysis and conservative design practice prompted the change. The RV3/4/6 are fast and don't have a balanced rudder, right?

When you get into big planes, wing tips move 20 feet up & down, "aero elasticity" is critical. They actually "SHAKE" the wing in-flight! I saw a video of a B747 shook in flight. The two engines on the wing where bouncing in all wild directions and the wing looked like a diving-board as an Olympic diver bounced on it before the big jump.

Last edited:
We can ask Dave Anders (fastest RV), Mr. Harmon (HRII) or Mark Fredrick's (Team Rocket) what they did. I suspect the changes are none or minor. Mostly they just fly with less margin. It can be done but with much more pilot responsibility.

Yea George, that's what they did. Just go faster with no changes and less margin. Please get your facts straight. I can't speak for Dave or the Harmons, but the F1 IS NOT a RV. Call Mark and he can walk you through all the engineering changes that were made to the F1 to come up with the kit in order to fit it to the powerplant.

BTW, I'm not "guessing", I know. I've built 2 RVs and 2 Rockets.

Ground testing

Van did use computers, hired engineers and used "shakers and recorders" to introduce airframe stresses in order to evaluate the RV-8 for flutter margins. This is called ground vibration test or GVT and according to Vans it is the industry standard as a back up to computed limits. The airframe passed but I don't recall any exact flutter margins being published. They also did ultimate load testing with outside engineering help and lead shot bags, testing a set of homebuilder's wings to 9 g's positve for two points in the VG envelope. Vans points out that the airframe is required not to break at the ultimate load, but permanent deformation is permitted and the airframe only has to sustain ultimate load once, and for only three seconds. The RV-8 test airframe did it twice for both DESIGN and ULTIMATE load tests (Van's caps). Wings are considered throw-away after these loads according to Van. For those interested, this was all published in the RVator, fourth issue 1998. I second the earlier comment on Vans' design genius. Bill

Unintentional flutter testing

My dad and I once found ourselves 30 mph over redline... we'd gotten distracted for a minute looking at the GPS, and lost the horizon because it was extremely hazy. Next thing we know, it starts getting very loud. Look at the airspeed; it's passing 230 and increasing. I yanked the power back, leveled out, and started pulling very, very gently to get the nose up.

This was probably my scariest flying moment... it's given me a new appreciation for how fast RV's pick up speed, and I pay a lot of attention to it now.

I busted through VNE accidently the other day and it has led to me reading this and other related threads.

I have a turbocharged RV7A that can fairly easily exceed VNE in level flight. I am learning that I need to be careful with this. It kind of caught me by surprise as I have always had the 230 MPH number in my head. My TAS readout is in knots and it took me a minute to interpret what I was looking at, and I was a little distracted getting a photo of the screen.

I now have 200 Knots TAS imbedded in my memory as the speed to stay under, in calm conditions, and if it is bumpy, of course I should slow her way down. That is pretty natural anyway as it gets uncomfortable to hit the sharp bumps at speed.

I guess I can understand Van's dislike of RVs with turbochargers, but in my opinion it is just a matter of learning the limitations of the airframe and engine and staying inside the lines. I screwed up on that flight and hit 213 knots. It won't happen again. I don't like this test pilot stuff anymore. I just want to enjoy flying the thing and I have sure been doing that..

What I am trying to do here is verify that it is TRUE Airspeed that I should be watching and not INDICATED Airspeed. (Ok and maybe brag just a little)

I think I remember some RVator articles where some pilots were under the impression that indicated airspeed was the one to watch for staying under VNE, but I am pretty sure this could get a person in trouble at alttitude as TAS gets to be quite a bit higher than IAS up in the thinner air, and that is the actual air speed that the airframe is experiencing. It really doesn't matter that the air is thinner up at altitude, it is still the speed of that air that VNE is related to.

Correct?

Randy C
RV7A Turbo Subaru STI

I busted through VNE accidently the other day and it has led to me reading this and other related threads.

I have a turbocharged RV7A that can fairly easily exceed VNE in level flight. I am learning that I need to be careful with this. It kind of caught me by surprise as I have always had the 230 MPH number in my head. My TAS readout is in knots and it took me a minute to interpret what I was looking at, and I was a little distracted getting a photo of the screen.

I now have 200 Knots TAS imbedded in my memory as the speed to stay under, in calm conditions, and if it is bumpy, of course I should slow her way down. That is pretty natural anyway as it gets uncomfortable to hit the sharp bumps at speed.

I guess I can understand Van's dislike of RVs with turbochargers, but in my opinion it is just a matter of learning the limitations of the airframe and engine and staying inside the lines. I screwed up on that flight and hit 213 knots. It won't happen again. I don't like this test pilot stuff anymore. I just want to enjoy flying the thing and I have sure been doing that..

What I am trying to do here is verify that it is TRUE Airspeed that I should be watching and not INDICATED Airspeed. (Ok and maybe brag just a little)

I think I remember some RVator articles where some pilots were under the impression that indicated airspeed was the one to watch for staying under VNE, but I am pretty sure this could get a person in trouble at alttitude as TAS gets to be quite a bit higher than IAS up in the thinner air, and that is the actual air speed that the airframe is experiencing. It really doesn't matter that the air is thinner up at altitude, it is still the speed of that air that VNE is related to.

Correct?

Randy C
RV7A Turbo Subaru STI

On RVs the discussion has been that Vne is TAS not IAS due to flutter concerns. I only found this out a few years ago (thanks VAF) AFTER I had done my Vne testing assuming it was IAS like most planes we are used to. I worked out what I was really doing and it was around 194 knots TAS. Oops. The 6A has a Vne of 182 knots. Many other aircraft have limits based on air loads to the structure or windshield loads, the flutter speeds being well above these.

Go high, throttle back and enjoy the speed and fuel economy up there.:cool:

BTW, it seems that yet another Subaru has joined the ranks of kicking Lycoming butt along with Robert Paisley's Sube a few years back. Randy, you have the speed plus the low fuel flows to go with it- and undoubtedly the fastest 4 cylinder 7A in the world. That is very cool!:cool::cool:

Can you reprogram your EFIS so the big airspeed number mid-screen is TAS rather than IAS? Seems more suitable for your mission and to keep you safe.

Last edited:
I see your logic, Dave Anders RV-4 does it, F-1 Rocket's do it (with basically similar empannage), why not me. My Mom told me if all the kids are doing it, does that mean I should. :D

but Mom all the kids are wearing pants.

:eek:

I don't want to go naked.

soapbox

Time to get on my rather meager soapbox.... From what I can glean from all the very educated aerodynamics people I'm surrounded by... the flutter is actually on a case by case basis because of the difference in balance (per serial number aircraft) in the control surfaces, the airflow on and around the aircraft's control surfaces, the airflow from other items on the aircraft interfering with everything else, vibrations, density altitude etc etc....... so as a very wise man said... it's 95% math and 5% pure black magic...... So when the man says thou shalt not speed..... I shall not unless I am prepared to smite thine fruit of the loom with foul items... and hopefully parachute away to safety. I think a -4 driver was in a slight dive through the clouds at a rather high density altitude and came across a quick small buzz.... he slowed down rather quickly and counted his lucky stars....
Best
Brian Wallis

Last edited:
Here ya go...

someone smart over at Vans wrote up an article exactly on the difference between vne tas and ias. I hope someone will link to it here soon, i can't search the vans webpage for it.

i also found this thread, talks about vne, mainly re. the rv9

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=14854

edit- this is it: http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

It's the article that Ken Krueger wrote and the -4 in question was Rob Ray (Smoky).

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/hp_limts.pdf

Regards,

My dad and I once found ourselves 30 mph over redline... we'd gotten distracted for a minute looking at the GPS, and lost the horizon because it was extremely hazy. Next thing we know, it starts getting very loud. Look at the airspeed; it's passing 230 and increasing.
Noise (or lack of it) is your friend. I've gotten to where I rarely look at the ASI while thermaling the glider now, I judge IAS from sound.

TODR

Every RV builder is suppose to verify Vne during Phase I before taking passengers.

How does on 'verify' that in phase 1 testing?
You fly to VNE and ensure there are no adverse characterisitcs. If you are able to come back and write down there were none, then you have "verified" it :D

The UK (LAA) schedule is as follows (this is an extract from Initial Flight Test, but the VNE dive has to be done with each Annual permit renewal):

Dive to VNE

THIS TEST MUST ONLY BE FLOWN IN SMOOTH AIR CONDITIONS

The purpose of this test is to demonstrate safe handling of the aircraft at VNE and to check this can be achieved without exceeding max permitted RPM. The VNE speed is stated in the PFRC or Operating Limitations sheet. Never exceed the VNE. Beware of false reading ASI. Airspeed or RPM data entered that exceeds the maximum permitted will fail the application. See 5.3.2 above. It is permitted to conduct the VNE dive solo.

Increase speed up to VNE at shallowest dive angle possible by maintaining sufficient power but keeping RPM within maximum permissible. If any unusual airframe or control vibration is felt, immediately reduce speed by closing the throttle and gradually pulling the control column back. Record:-

Scheduled VNE (from PFRC/Operating Limitations) knots mph

Any unusual behaviour.

Whether the control forces and
responses over small angles are normal.

Steadiness of propeller governing (if applicable).

Maximum IAS knots mph

Record maximum engine RPM

Regain cruising flight by closing throttle and gradually pulling the control column back. Record:-

Engine behaviour on closing throttle: SAT / UNSAT

Propeller governing (if applicable): SAT / UNSAT

Thanks for the responses, although according to Martin, it seems there should be no experimentation in experimental aviation:confused:

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I often see statements like this made in the forums. I don't think anyone is saying don't "experiment" in experimental aviation. What I read in the responses to the original post is move forward carefully. Don't just experiment, engineer then experiment. After all these are airplanes not cars. If you lose a control surface you can't just pull over and figure out what went wrong.

Safe airplane designs aren't built by experimenting alone. There is a rigorous engineering process that goes into the design, and once everything looks good on paper, then you experiment.

If you (I'm using the hypothetical you here, not pointing to anyone individual) want to take an existing design and expand it's envelope or make changes to the structure, to be safe there should be some engineering upfront before the chagnes are made. I'm a mechanical engineer, and I work with all the latest and greatest tools, Pro Engineer for 3D CAD designs, MSC Nastran for FEM structural analysis and SINDA for finite difference thermal analysis. Every time we put a system on the vibe table, or into a thermal chamber, we learn something new. We realize one of our assumptions were wrong, or we didn't realize some kind of coupling between components. And rarely are these intuitive, something you'd see from looking at the system and comparing it to what you know or even similar systems designed in the past.

Airplanes are complicated systems, it's impossible to build the protoype and reach 100% of your design goals without some level of test. When you move from paper to the real world you are going to learn what you missed. To maximize your chances of success the engineerd design needs to be 100% right on paper. Flutter is an extremely complicated problem. It's not as simple as modeling a single degree of freedom spring mass damper. There is a lot going on that creates this phenomenon and the only way to know for sure you have margin in the design is to test. Both on the ground and in the air.

Sorry for the long rant, I tried my best to keep it short.:eek:

Yea George, that's what they did. Just go faster with no changes and less margin. Please get your facts straight. I can't speak for Dave or the Harmons, but the F1 IS NOT a RV. Call Mark and he can walk you through all the engineering changes that were made to the F1 to come up with the kit in order to fit it to the powerplant.

BTW, I'm not "guessing", I know. I've built 2 RVs and 2 Rockets.

John Harmon also had his design professionally engineered. If you compare HR2 empennage plans with RV-4 empennage plans, you'll notice exactly three differences:

1) There is a 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.016 angle INSIDE the trailing edge of the control surfaces (bent to the included angle of the surfaces) that picks up the aft-most rivet of each stiffener. This is to reduce the occurence of cracking of the skin at the end of the stiffeners somewhat common with 0.016 control surface skins. (Yes, the HR2 plans retain the use of 0.016 empennage control surface skins.)

2. The leading edges of the control surfaces are not riveted together. Both sides have a quarter-inch flange bent into them for stiffness, then are rolled just enough to clear the fixed surfaces. I think this was done for ease of building, but I could see where this might serve somewhat as a gap seal.

3. The tip of the bottom rib of the vertical stabilizer is raised 5/8 inch from the RV-4 design to accomodate the fastback fuselage.

That's pretty much it. No thicker skins, no rudder counterbalance. It may have less flutter margin than an RV-4, but published Vne for the HR2 is 275mph, and John says it has been dive tested to 300+ mph.

This is certainly an experimental airplane; however, no one building today is the "first to fly one."

If your goal is to fly much faster than the well-charted VNE realm of the RV aircraft, why not seek out an aircraft designed specifically to go very fast? Lancair and Glassair offer two seat aircraft designed for IO-540s which will top 300mph and which have never had a reported case of flutter at any reasonable speeds that I have heard of.

The RVs are excellent airplanes designed for a mission. People who insist on making airplanes try to fly for missions other than they were designed often end up dead, and the rest of us end up with more regulations to stifle our joy of flying.

Please consider all this carefully before exceeding VNE!

:)

Just for the sake of argument

What would be an easier task, getting another SAFE 30mph out of an RV, or trying to get a Lancair/Glasair III to take off and land in 500 feet?

I know there's been some good discussion on VNE & flutter in this thread, but I was somewhat disappointed in the tone that it took earlier on and was actually kind of relieved to see it die:D I guess I'm surprised at the way some readers interpretted the original intent- like my plan was to climb up to 15,000 feet and point the plane at the ground and see how fast it would go! I even got an unsolicited and unfriendly private message yesterday after the thread got bumped. yay. But he's not an RV'er, so maybe I can understand the angst:D

I would like to make a motion that "speed mods" now be retitled as "efficiency mods" so as to keep from ruffling people's feathers since airplanes can only go as fast as designed, period;)

BTW, here's a couple of pictures of VNE testing with my car:
Picture500.jpg

Picture503.jpg

The low pressure area at the leaading edge of the sunroof overcame the stregth of the fasteners at an IGS (Indicated Ground Speed:p) of about 150mph. More fasteners installed in the new panel, and it's good beyond 160.

Maybe more rivets are all my RV needs!:D I kid, I kid;)

Quick reminder; most posts (more or less) equate flutter with high speed. As a practical matter, that may be true for RV's. However, some here may try other flying machines, including truly experimental designs, so it is important to realize high speed is not necessarily a requirement for flutter. You need only find an unfortunate combination of masses, stiffness, and exciting forces.

Case in point; Kolb makes a popular line of ultralight and lightplane kits. All the earlier designs were originally delivered without mass-balanced ailerons. The wing has a single large diameter tubular aluminum spar and a single lift strut, so it is not very stiff in torsion.

Starting, oh, maybe 10-12 years ago (I forget exactly) Kolb mandated the addition of tubular mass balance weights, and supplied them with all new deliveries. Not everyone added them to older aircraft; they had been flying for years without evidence of a problem and saw no need to add airframe weight.

I enjoy all flying machines, including the light stuff. A friend offered me his Firestar one nice evening. It had about 200 hours on it and had never shown any evidence of flutter to my friend or the first owner, another friend. Both had done "dive tests" to Vne and beyond, and both had declined to add the balance weights. I climbed to 4500 feet, pushed over into level flight, eased back on the throttle and relaxed into a two-fingers on the stick, enjoy the evening mode. Next thing I knew, the wing was twisting in torsion 20-30 degrees at about 2 hz, the classic aileron-couple mode. I jerked the throttle, choked the stick, and nosed up just a tad. It stopped.

Being the curious sort (and having a ballistic chute), I played around with inputs to duplicate the problem. The required inputs turned out to be nothing more than an undamped stick (no grip or a very loose grip) when I crept up to 54 mph indicated. With a firm grip on the stick I could fly right through the flutter speed without the slightest tremor. Enough said. That particular Kolb got mass balance weights, and I logged some reading time. Interesting subject, and several lessons in the above.

Let's be careful out there. There are specific flight test methods to find flutter problems while minimizing danger, but you don't get a guarantee. Here's a nice illustration taken from AC 23.629-1A. Note curve #4; no warning that you're approaching a critical speed, unless maybe you did the math beforehand.

Last edited:
Mass, stiffness, and exciting forces set VNE

You need only find an unfortunate combination of masses, stiffness, and exciting forces.

Very good example of the issue in Dan's posting. Makes me remember back to college days of learning about stick-fixed and stick-free aircraft dynamics. (anybody need me to do a Laplace transformation?) My caution is that mass is a big player so if you get aileron flutter (which I believe sets the RV Vne) just mass balancing the aileron does not nescessarily solve the issue. It may actually make it worse. You need to know the flutter axis on the wing and aileron to know where adding the mass may help or hurt flutter.

I am no expert but work with several and even they say it is a bit of black magic, WT testing, and flight test to get the true answer. The government (military) only lets "the big aircraft companies" fly to 66% of predicted flutter unless expensive flutter analysis and testing is performed. I have seen several X-plane programs that have followed this 66% speed limit due to not wanting to add the cost of the testing to the program. They typically make everything super stiff and every change to the OFP (flight software) gets SMI (structural Mode Interaction) testing to ensure it does not excite the flutter modes.

Last edited:
What would be an easier task, getting another SAFE 30mph out of an RV, or trying to get a Lancair/Glasair III to take off and land in 500 feet?

I know there's been some good discussion on VNE & flutter in this thread, but I was somewhat disappointed in the tone that it took earlier on and was actually kind of relieved to see it die:D I guess I'm surprised at the way some readers interpretted the original intent- like my plan was to climb up to 15,000 feet and point the plane at the ground and see how fast it would go! I even got an unsolicited and unfriendly private message yesterday after the thread got bumped. yay. But he's not an RV'er, so maybe I can understand the angst:D

I would like to make a motion that "speed mods" now be retitled as "efficiency mods" so as to keep from ruffling people's feathers since airplanes can only go as fast as designed, period;)

Hope I didn't come across as one of the nay-sayers. Just don't want to see anyone else killed!

The way you have re-stated this problem, seeking only an additional 30 knots while retaining low-speed performance, is a different matter than some I have seen wanting 300 knot cruise at FL250.

The poster who followed this with a nice scientific discussion of mass/harmonics has it right - and if you can identify which elements on the aircraft are the "most likely" to experience flutter, your goal may be realistically achieved by reinforcing / replacing those parts with thicker / different materials.

Good luck to you! :D

Factors affecting control surface flutter

The last time I saw a thread like this, it arose from a discussion of adding a movable trim tab to the rudder of an RV-10, and the resultant change in flutter characteristics. Since the original poster is just starting his empennage, it seems that a review of what changes the flutter characteristics of a control surface is in order. Off the top of my head I know weight, hinged moment, CG, structural integrity, head the list. More.

And speaking of the empennage, there is more than one RV out there where someone decided to "strenghten" the tail/empennage by using thicker skins, "beefing up" elsewhere, etc.. The problem here is that weight is added in the process which will make the final empty weight CG much further aft than desired. Certainly offsets like battery location, prop and engine weight, heavier starter, etc. matter, but something to consider. I'm aware of an RV6 once owned (not built) by an acquaintance that just would not land very well. Finally it was weighed, and over 70 lbs on the tail wheel, while most are in the low 50's. Who knows what was done to this airplane outside Van's plans. Perhaps some RV6 drivers with a -7 rudder (counterbalanced vs not on -6 rudder) can comment on the tail weight and empty CG they see.

Stick to the plans and Van's recommendations. You'll be glad you did. And so will the insurance company when you check yes to this question.

Last edited:
Airframe limits

Anyway, does anyone know what the first limiting factor on an RV airframe might be?

Good question. The answer to my knowledge is that Vans doesn't tell us, so we're left to guess.

I've noticed that flutter is on everybody's mind here. That's fine, but flutter (control surface or airframe) is only one possible factor driving limits on an airplane like the RV8.

The list of possible limiting factors on VNE is pretty expansive. Here are a few more areas that might be controlling (just off the top of my head):

1. Gust loading (drives Vno - max structural cruise speed)
  2. Rolling torsional loads on wing and/or ailerons
  3. Drag loads on wing
  4. Dynamic pressure loads on secondary airframe structure (cowl, canopy, etc)
  5. Stick force buildup
  6. Secondary structural: control surface hinge points, empennage attach, etc.
  7. Vans pucker factor - or maybe they don't know either (?)

On a constructive note, there is one thing I might change: The method of hinging the tail surfaces using threaded rod ends loaded in bending/shear isn't the best design practice. I'd MUCH rather see those hinges made out of billet 6061 or bent steel plate parts.

In the final analysis, I do like the spirit of experimentation and resourcefulness we find ourselves playing with here in the world of EAA. However, when pressing into areas like expanding the flight envelope, I'd strongly advise obtaining the guidance of an expert engineer (or more) before testing the unknown.

Just found this thread. Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but how fast has flutter testing been done to in an RV7? I'm looking into building an RV7 with supercharger. Want to know how much margin there is for VNE. I never knew that VNE was based on TAS and not indicated. Back in 1986 I flew RV4 number 57 to fly. I did 230 mph indicated at 9500-9000 feet. By my calculations I did about 235 knots TAS. I had the non-counter-weighted Rudder, and I slapped the stick and rudder really hard too.

huh?

Just found this thread. Sorry if it's been discussed elsewhere, but how fast has flutter testing been done to in an RV7? I'm looking into building an RV7 with supercharger. Want to know how much margin there is for VNE. I never knew that VNE was based on TAS and not indicated. Back in 1986 I flew RV4 number 57 to fly. I did 230 mph indicated at 9500-9000 feet. By my calculations I did about 235 knots TAS. I had the non-counter-weighted Rudder, and I slapped the stick and rudder really hard too.

235mph indicated on your airspeed indicator? at 9000 feet? huh?

cm

I'll never forget when I saw a big rc plane self destruct from flutter. It was all over right when it began. Amazing and scary.

Hi Ken,

This is but ONE of many threads where this has been discussed, and I'd encourage you do do more searches on the word "Flutter" on the forums to find lots and lots of good information. As to your question "how much margin is there?" - well, that's the designer's margin, and we'll probably never know for sure. if you read enough of the threads, you'll find Smoky Ray's article on his flutter experience in his RV-4 at close to the speeds you are talking about - so just because you didn't have it that time doesn't mean you'd have it the next.

Paul

I wish Van's was a little more forthcoming on exactly what testing has been done. Living out west I often have my -10 well up into the 'teens; density altitudes of >18000' are easily climbed to. I usually make modest descents; but I would like to know, if an emergency descent is needed, exactly what are the airspeed limits? At 18,000' anything in the yellow arc is over 200 KTAS (nominal Vne in true airspeed).

The reason this is so confusing to so many people is that in Normally certified aircraft, Vne is in Indicated (actually Calibrated) Airspeed, unless placarded otherwise.