rracer10

In a recent article (see http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/04jun_swef/) NASA discusses the 22 year cycle of the sun's flares and what impact it might have on the earth. Among many problems it would cause, one it mentions is the GPS Satellite system.

With all the ground based nav aids being decommissioned, if the problems mentioned in the article come to pass, what impact is there going to be on ALL aviation (G.A., Commercial, and Military) ? I can only imagine what would happen to thousands of commercial flights, navigating by GPS, and all going blind at the same time. Or days and weeks of canceled flights due to no GPS availability, etc.

Although we all like the convenience and unbelievable accuracy of GPS, should we be putting all of our eggs in one basket ?

This stuff really worries me !

I may have to read the article. I thought it was a 13 year solar cycle.

Not all ground navaids are going away. Still plenty of VOR-DME for commercial folks. Plus they have inertial systems so my pseudo-educated guess is that it would have minimal impact on commercial flights.

I think that your concern has merit. To reinforce it, the move to ADS-B Out further places all/most surveillance on GPS. More eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
I agree

I've had this same internal question from the begining of my RV-7 build. I decided to go ahead with the SL-30 as a result and always include a "backup" flight plan with appropriate VOR's. A bit more work during the planning but worth it.

I did have my 496 GPS signal drop out a few times flying past Chicago's Bravo air space last year on my way to OSH. It was only in and out a couple of times and only off for a minute or two but it brought my concern into focus. The 496 is very reliable but other things can (and do) go wrong such as anntena connections or other. A completely independent secondary nav system based on different technology (even old tech) that is line of site is a solid backup plan.