Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I found the edge of the cloud layer as we crossed the western edge of Galveston Bay, climbing through 5,000 feet. A thin stratus layer, it had began the day down around 1,500 feet (making Louise’s morning commute of 100 miles in her RV-6 a little lower than usual), and stuck around until evening to make the day a bit gray. The reports said there were scattered clouds at 2,800, but as I climbed out for my after-dinner exercise, those were few and far between. The upper layer had breaks in the distance – splashes of low sun reflecting off the white petrochemical tanks of Texas city, brighter air to the north and east … I had a hunch that I’d find a hole over the Bay. The Bay is always a good bet for clear air, whether the clouds are cumulous or stratus – if the weather is flyable at all, the breaks will be over the water.

Coming up on the coastline, I saw a flock of little cumulous ahead and below, lit up like they were on a stage – I knew the break was there! I added power to climb and accelerate, crossing the line from shadow to sun and seeing the bright blue above in a mile-wide break. I cleared the edge of the cloud, turned hard left then hard right to clear the airspace – I was alone! With 150 knots indicating on the EFIS, I pulled straight up and pegged the VSI, popping through the three hundred foot thick layer just as Glenn Miller came on the XM radio, belting it out….yes, I was “In the Mood”!

The evening sun hit me at the same time as the music, and I pulled over the top and rolled upright completing an Immelman to VFR “over the top”. There was nothing above, and water below – holes were opening up to the east and the north, and I could see that the back edge of the charted cold front was about to move through with the end of the day. The layer was almost transparent in spots, but looking towards the sun it was a beautiful white, flat field. The music invited me to look for Messerschmitts, or maybe Zeros….the world above knew nothing of the times of men – the sky the same now as it was then – timeless in fact, or maybe a time machine. It invited the imagination – scenes of contrails and smoke trails out of the bubble canopy, watching for fast-moving dots sliding out of the sun’s bright rays. “Never fly straight and level in a combat zone!” echoed in my mind, countless movies having burned themselves into my memory. “Yes Sir!” my hands and feet responded, twisting and turning to the rhythms of 1940’s jazz, courtesy of 21st century satellite electronics, a marvelous aluminum steed and a good old Lycoming “tractor engine”. Rolling, looping, corkscrewing through the air – point the lift vector and pull! Feel the shudder as you run out of airspeed, let the nose drop for more, and off you go again…the shadows of those who have done this for real are out there, and the land below could be – anywhere!

I fought the shadows of time up to 10,000 feet and then back down again to where the white fields, now shadows themselves, were breaking up and parting to show the land and water below. The South Sea islands became the Oyster beds of Galveston Bay once again, and the fields of England just the pastures of the coastal bend. The music had slowed …. was that Jimmy Dorsey now? The Valkyrie was pointed for the barn, and we swayed slowly from side to side as the altitude and airspeed slipped away, zeroing in on home (both in space and time) once again. Beautiful machines these little aluminum fighters we have built in our garages and basements. Time machines, really…..

Paul

Last edited:
Mood

Iron:

I'm still thinking that you must have been an English Major in college instead of studying Engineering. Am I wrong?:p

Ironflight, you are...

an accomplished wordsmith! It is an absolute delight to read your musings here. I'd bet there's a book or two stashed away in you somewhere.

Ah, you are the romatic

Paul, you are truly one with your machine. I would not be surprised that as you close your eyes at night, your brain signs off with Magee's poem High FLight just like the TV stations used to years ago.

Please keep the inspirational stories going.

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I?ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, ? and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of?wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov?ring there,
I?ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I?ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark nor even eagle flew?
And, while with silent lifting mind I?ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

And then young Paul closed his eyes, opened his mind, and flew off into places only his mind could take him...........Goodnight.

Great!

Paul,
I could read your stories all day long. Please, Please, write a book. God has given you a special talent. Great Job!

Darren Kerns
RV7 N599DT Reserved

Iron:

I'm still thinking that you must have been an English Major in college instead of studying Engineering. Am I wrong?:p

To be honest, I never had time to take an English course in College - I was too busy with technical courses, and had tested out of the requirements... because I had some VERY good teachers in High School!;)

The fun part about these posts are that they usually are fully "written" in my mind before I land - it's just a matter of typing after that...

I have been so lucky...

Thanks, Paul. Another excellent composition. I always enjoy reading your descriptions of flying the "Val." I will say here publicly that the first time we met, while I was on a trip to Houston back in February 2007, I was lucky enough to be invited to see the "Val" and then to be offered a ride.

Although I don't remember any comments about the Luftwaffe fighters at 3:00 high, I do recall the late afternoon sun, the puffy clouds and the flight over the bay at 8,500 feet. Even though I had flown with several experienced pilots in their RV's, it was obvious to me you were "one with the machine" as we climbed and banked. It was an RV flight to be remembered, for sure.

Thanks for the ride...and thanks for the latest account of another late afternoon flight.

"Keep on writin'."

Ahhh, you folks that can write things that make me feel like I'm eating a slice of cream pie when I read them make me jealous...

all I can say Paul is "me too."

Last edited:
I certainly think that the 40's from XM radio & piston engine props go together... :)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Mood

Most of the engineers I've known are quite good writers. Probably in part because they have to be able to express otherwise difficult concepts to people whom may not have a good understanding of what is being described.

I can relate to that. I've often wished that I had gotten the math skills to go into mechanical or aero engineering when I was young. Ended up making documentary films for the USAF. Lot of fun, lot of travel, didn't get shot at much, would do it again in a heartbeat!:D

such a poet!!

those words will tuck me in tonight, since i don't have time to fly this week! what a great day to end a day! :D

Makes me want to fly!!

The sky is calling. I wanna fly!

Unfortunately is nearly 1 a.m. here now and I'm daytime VFR only. Plus my plane is currently "between engines"

So I'll let this be an inspiration to finish that new engine package a bit sooner.

So THANKS PAUL!

:D

Hans