dustman

Well Known Member
Hello, looking for suggestions for an in-line fuel filter for a carbureated engine with AN fitttings. Thanks

I just purchased some, try Summit Racing or JEGS. I had to have those that you can take apart and clean as needed. Very good quality too.

Midwest Motorsports Inc

Here is what I am using.

I bought two in-line filters at http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com.

Search for 4050-06-1. I bought mine in blue to match the other AN fittings. Great quality. The end unscrews and you can clean the filter. Has an o-ring seal.

img0323sk.jpg

I understand that paper or cellulose-based filters should not be used but, other than that, how is the proper micron level determined on filters with the stainless steel screens? (The ones mentioned above range from 10 microns to 100 microns.)

Also, are there generally any requirements regarding where filters can be placed relative to 90-degree elbow fittings, fuel flow transducers, etc? In other words, are they supposed to be used in locations where you have unimpeded straight runs on both the inlet and outlet sides of the filter or does that not generally matter? (Just trying to determine where I might have room for a filter in my system. I have a fuel flow transducer located aft of the firewall that probably should have a filter upstream.)

Filter size?

The above filter is 10 micron I believe. (there's 25,400 microns to the inch) Isn't 10 microns too fine? What size of contaminant partical can we expect to pass through the carb/fuel injection system without causing a blockage? I would think that we want "minimum" filtration to prevent unnecessary restriction somewhere downstream but also not to impede normal fuel flow at the filter at the available pressure.

Bevan

Here is what I am using.

I bought two in-line filters at http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com.

Search for 4050-06-1. I bought mine in blue to match the other AN fittings. Great quality. The end unscrews and you can clean the filter. Has an o-ring seal.

img0323sk.jpg

I use a 74 micron, I believe AFP's filter is around 100. Don't forget to look at the important specs like pressure rating, fuel flow, and filtration area. Stainless steel mesh only.

Filter

I guess I should have pointed out that I am using the filters I mentioned as “pre-filters”. I placed these between the tanks and fuel selection. I have an additional filter that is after the fuel selector and before the electric fuel pump. These filters are basically a fine screen intended to catch large particles.

Last edited:
Earl's Performance makes some good ones-#230206 for the 85 micron with stainless screens. I think Summit or Jegs has that part #, if not Barnett Performance in Atlanta I know does.
Tom