johngoodman

Well Known Member
A friend of mine mentioned a prop that used to be around but is probably not used much any more - two positions adjustable in the air. Climb or Cruise. Not really a constant speed, just two positions.
Any history buffs out there?
John

Intersting site. Anyboby have experience with this prop on an RV or plane with similar speeds?

I wonder how it would do in acro.

Pretty sure these are no longer around, outside of maybe a few restored antiques.

I tried to get one 20 years ago for my old Stinson, couldn't find one that was airworthy at that time.

Aeromatic:
"TARVER PROPELLERS, LLC owns the rights, engineering, tooling and Type Certificates for the above propeller and propeller blades."
I doubt you would want one, as they are effected by altitude, or air density if you prefer. I'm not sure, but I don't think they have one for an RV equivalent application? Give 'em a call.
Avia:
Makes or made one that has a funny shaped spinner with little vanes around the edge that were used on aerobatic Zlins etc. I think that would be what you should check into. Although it might be spendy or made of unobtainium.:rolleyes:
Here's a link to one applicable to a Cessna 172, with a limit of 120Kw output.
http://www.aviapropeller.com/pdf/V503AP en kompl.pdf
I was somewhat interested because my homebrew powerplant has a solid prop shaft, but I went with that dependable favorite, the CATTO.

My O-290-D2(B) was set up for an adjustable pitch prop when it was first installed in a PA-18 Super Cub.

They used this for crop dusting with the Super Cub. This was not a constant speed prop as it was up to the pilot to adjust the prop pitch as needed.

Prior to converting my engine to accept a fixed pitch prop I looked into finding one of these props. They simply don't exist any longer and I was told that if I found one, the wood blades would probably be rotted and it was unlikely the prop hubs would be serviceable.

I tried to find one and the only one I was able to locate was rusted beyond any hope.

A CS prop is the best way to go, if you want an adjustable pitch prop.

I used to own a '57 Tri-Pacer. It had a manifold pressure gauge, but a fixed pitch prop. I always wondered why it had a MP gauge and finally found that it had a two position, in-air adjustable propeller on it when it was new. Must have been a fairly common set up during that time period.

PROP

The prop that John asked about IS NOT the Aeromatic but is the Sensenich Skyblade, which was a two position controllable. used mostly on Pipers in the late 40's. There was a rather expensive 100 hour AD, so most of these were replaced years ago. The Aeromatics are mostly fully automatic with the exception of some that had what was referred to as an "altitude control". I have flown airplanes with the standard Aeromatic, but not with the altitude control. The Aeromatic was widely used on Stinsons, Bellancas and Pipers. They are still used on aircraft such as the Clip Wing Monocoupe, Cessna Airmaster etc.

I have an electric adjustable prop on my plane. Takes a little more work and thinking than a constant speed but it works fine.