[email protected]

I'm New Here
Would like to estemate the amount of Imron paint/Primer to do a RV8.
Any reason not to use Imron.?
What color PN would mattahorn white be.(Cessna OEM )

Since I'm doing this now, for a 6A

I have 1 gallon of yellow, it's that deep yellow like you see on numerous new cars. 1/2 of fuse & all tail surfaces.

2- gallons of gloss gray -- bottom 1/2 of fuse & wings

and a quart of black and white for trim.

1- gallon of primer

can of hardner for the primer, and 3 cans for the paint.

1- gal of reducer

Using Sherwin Williams Genesis 3.5 which has an excellent gloss finish without a clear coat system.

I will have paint left over, even with wasting a quart or two.

L.Adamson

White Imron

I have been told that white takes less paint than some colors (red and yellow I hear are the worst.) My 9A was done in Imron in an off white/very light grey. All other colors were done with vinyl. The man who shot it was VERY good and used about as little paint as possible while still getting a slick job. It took 1 3/4 gallons. I don't recall how much primer/sealer was used. It was done before assembly. BTW, we ended up with less than $3k in paint and labor and a plane I'm very happy with. I did the fiberglass prep, the painter preped the AL.

Bob Kelly

When I paint an RV, I only use Jet-Glo by Sherwin-Williams. Here are the amounts I use.

Primer: 3.5 quarts sprayable. 1 kit of primer, wich is two gallons, is enough for 2 RV's

Base color: 2 gallons of paint + 2 gallons hardener + reducer. I mix in 10-20 percent reducer. To save money, I buy the reducer in 5 gallon cans. You will have paint left over.

Accent stripes: 1 or 2 quarts of each stripe color depending on how much stripe I'm doing.

Hope this helps.

Here are a couple of part numbers for matterhorn white.

Dupont Aviation Finishes - 768273

Sherwin-Williams Jet-Glo - 570535

Sorry, I don't have a color chart for Dupont car paint (Imron 5000)

:)

Number of coats?

How many coats are you all applying? One prime, two top? I mean those that are not using a clear coat.

Thanks, Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

Check out Ford Diamond White - it is a UK spec color but I am sure you can cross reference. It is very slightly softer than appliance white and looks stunning. I did my Christen Eagle 3 years ago with it and VW Tornado Red :D

Brian Vickers said:
How many coats are you all applying? One prime, two top? I mean those that are not using a clear coat.

Thanks, Brian Vickers, RV4 finishing

I do 1 coat of primer and 2-3 coats of paint.