If I remember right, the original electronic ignition modules did not have protection against kick back while starting. The newer ignition that has yellow stickers has that feature built in.

Soft start

I recall it being a starter function, soft start, to protect against kick back. When I was building I recall people adding the soft start and mine already had it. There was a color of sticker, either yellow or green, I don't recall which one. Try a search in these forums for soft start.

Impulse coupler

Back in the day a long time ago.

I think impulse coupler was a function of the left magneto that retards the spark for easy starting .
To use this function you must turn off the right mag when starting and use two switches to ground the mags ( Not A Key Switch )

I don't know if this is still required with any aircraft engine. ( This is my ? )

I was planning to use a Jabiru 3300Engine ( on hold until Jabiru works out their problem )
I building my panel and planning to use two mag switches.

Thanks All

Rotax engine in the RV-12 uses electronic ignitions.

Also considering using a con Continental 0 200 D if I can work out the weight & balance

Has anyone considered this Engine.

QUOTE=Mel;945770]The Jabiru also uses electronic ignition. No magnetos.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mel

Last edited:
Back in the day a long time ago.

I think impulse coupler was a function of the left magneto that retards the spark for easy starting .
To use this function you must turn off the right mag when starting and use two switches to ground the mags ( Not A Key Switch )

I don't know if this is still required with any aircraft engine. ( This is my ? )

I was planning to use a Jabiru 3300Engine ( on hold until Jabiru works out their problem )
I building my panel and planning to use two mag switches.

Thanks All

Joe,

My Jab 2200 is wired through a standard L-R-Both-Start magneto switch. Wrt to alternate engines, take a look at Camit:

http://camitaeroengines.net/pages/new-camit-aero-engines

These engines are completely free from the current CASA imposed Jab engine operating limitations. I don't know why the cause of the separation between the two companies but Camit used to manufacture many of the components for Jab. My engine continues to run perfectly, however, I am planning to conduct the suggested inspections when I return to Charleston.

Regards,

I think you will find that the Cont. O-200D is still quite heavy compared to the Rotax and Jabiru.