LittleJoeA

Well Known Member
My Modifications to the Avery Rivet Squeezer

? I too am a weak old guy and had problems squeezing 1/8 rivets with the Avery Squeezer
? I built a set of handle extension which extend the stock Avery Handles by about 8?
? I turned down some ? inch solid steel to fit the ID of the handles
? This allowed the extensions to fit inside the Avery handles so I could just remove the ends of the plastic handles and leave the rest of the plastic handle intact. This allows the tool to be easily used with short handles for 3/32 rivets.
? I decided to mount the Avery Squeezer to the bench so it could be operated with one hand
? My first try was with the fixed handle down, which resulted in the yoke pointing down.
? The yoke down made it awkward to put parts in to be riveted.
? So, I decided to mount the squeezer yoke up with the moveable handle down.
? I put a slot in a piece of 1 ? inch round aluminum and drilled and tapped it for a set screw to clamp the yoke of the Avery squeezer.
? The squeezer will then set upright on a bench with the yoke opening up. When the fixed handle is pushed down, the yoke rotates through a small arc and the movable handle slides on the bench a little. You can use your weight, I have a lot of that, to push the handle down rather than squeezing the handles together. This motion is much easier for me.
? Of course, if you can?t bring the parts to the squeezer you use the squeezer in the normal manner with the handle extenders.
? These modifications have made using the Avery tool much easier for me.
? Photos are posted on Flicker at http://www.flickr.com/photos/littlejoeya/sets/72157625650705623/detail/
? I hope this is helpful